Progressive Records remasters

ruskaval

18 hours ago, paul secor said:

I think you're correct. There's a J.R. Monterose LP, Welcome Back, J.R.! (Progressive KUX 136G) which is credited on the back cover as a "cooperative project with Teichiku Records, Japan & Gus Statiras, Progressive Records, N.Y. USA".

I don't believe that this was ever issued in the U.S.

Here's an image of the J.R. Monterose LP:

20140116191301.jpg

6 hours ago, Dmitry said:
9 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Both feature Derek Smith (whose work I don't otherwise know) on piano but the newer one has Ray Drummond instead of George Mraz on bass, and Ronnie Bedford (another unknown to me) instead of Billy Hart on drums. Smith is a pretty good pianist, it seems to me.

He's from your neck of the woods. From memory, I think he played for tv studios in LA for many years. I had one of his trio cds, on Four Star Records iirc,..capable playing, left me underwhelmed.

Just my $.02.

Smith plays on two of the dates in Mosaic's Bee Hive box; Brignola's "Baritone Madness" and Salvador's "Star Fingers".

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Both the Konitz- Figure & Spirit, the DeFranco - Like Someone in Love, and the Arnett Cobb - Arnett is Back were all issued on CD some time ago.

I have all three of them.

Peter,

I think the DeFranco cd issue is complete in that it contains each of the tunes missing from the domestic and Japanese LPs.

Just checked my shelves.  It looks like Figure & Spirit has a "previously unissued in U.S. track on it as well."

On February 5, 2016 at 7:38 PM, paul secor said:

I think you're correct. There's a J.R. Monterose LP, Welcome Back, J.R.! (Progressive KUX 136G) which is credited on the back cover as a "cooperative project with Teichiku Records, Japan & Gus Statiras, Progressive Records, N.Y. USA".

I don't believe that this was ever issued in the U.S.

It was issued in 1988 by Progressive under the title J. R. Monterose Quartet ‎– Lush Life (PRO 7049).

jazzrecordmart-img588x600-1445681128y99m

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2016 at 1:54 PM, paul secor said:

Here's an image of the J.R. Monterose LP:

20140116191301.jpg

This Monterose record has been reissued in Japan. It came out just two days ago. See here.

This Progressive reissue also caught my eye:

CDSOL-6721.jpg?v=1

Billy Hart, Walter Bishop, Jr., George Mraz - The Trio

Anyone have any thoughts about these two records? I haven't heard either of them.

• 6 months later...