Download:Ros Rudd/Me/Darius Jones/Ray Anderson

from a 2010 concert; intense stuff:
 https://allenlowe.bandcamp.com/track/at-a-baptist-meeting

Allen Lowe, alto sax; Darius Jones, alto sax; Ray Anderson, trombone; Roswell Rudd, trombone; Randy Sandke, trumpet; Lewis Porter, piano; Ray Suhy, guitar; Matt Mottel, keyboard; Jessie Hautala, bass; Jake Millett, electronic drums

Edited by AllenLowe

33 minutes ago, Quasimado said:

Who is this for, Allen?

I know you are a smart cat - I love Lester, Bird, Haig, Schildkraut, Lee etc. as you do - but serious questions remain. Q

"Who is this for, Allen?" 

Kenny G fans everywhere?

Without ignoring the specific virtues of Allen's work here, in terms of overall style there's little or nothing in this piece that would be alien to the ears of, say, an admirer of Mingus' music or Roswell Rudd's '60s work on Impulse ... and on and on. What are those "serious questions" then? 

C'mon Larry:  "(not) alien to the ears of, say, an admirer of Mingus' music or Roswell Rudd's '60s work on Impulse" is hardly a recommendation.

The questions are (1) Who is this for? Allen knows Bird, Lee, Schildkraut etc.were playing real shit in the 50's - and then there was Ayler in the '60s ("Billie's Bounce" etc.) - so it's hardly for fans of your man KG - so who is it for?

(2) Why is it the best thing he has done? Well, Allen said that - I have heard some other things from Allen that seemed more interesting ... sorry ...I'm not particularly knocking the excerpt, but it's hardly exciting, more a reflection of the dilemma many musicians find themselves in - feeling they have to keep ahead, even to the point of glorifying the primitiveness of the past. Q

3 hours ago, Quasimado said:

C'mon Larry:  "(not) alien to the ears of, say, an admirer of Mingus' music or Roswell Rudd's '60s work on Impulse" is hardly a recommendation.

The questions are (1) Who is this for? Allen knows Bird, Lee, Schildkraut etc.were playing real shit in the 50's - and then there was Ayler in the '60s ("Billie's Bounce" etc.) - so it's hardly for fans of your man KG - so who is it for?

(2) Why is it the best thing he has done? Well, Allen said that - I have heard some other things from Allen that seemed more interesting ... sorry ...I'm not particularly knocking the excerpt, but it's hardly exciting, more a reflection of the dilemma many musicians find themselves in - feeling they have to keep ahead, even to the point of glorifying the primitiveness of the past. Q

'C'mon Larry:  "(not) alien to the ears of, say, an admirer of Mingus' music or Roswell Rudd's '60s work on Impulse" is hardly a recommendation.' 

It's not?

Besides -- I'm not recommending or, if you will, selling Allen's work in this particular instance, I'm  just trying to figure out what the thinking was behind your "Who is this for?" You've now made it clear, unless I don't understand you at all, that the music of Mingus and Rudd are, for two, beyond the pale ("hardly a recommendation"). But  Ayler's "Billie's Bounce" is OK by you? I'm bemused. And what "primitiveness of the past" do you have in mind? BTW, my mention of Kenny G was sarcastic.

sorry, didn't realize there was a discussion going on - the reason I feel good about this piece is because I feel like jazz musicians rarely do gospel and/or blues really well, at least in the old-style sense. And this is one of those performances where the quality of the musicians happened to fuse  with a particularly inspired night to produce something which evokes the sense of the real old-style gospel better than anything I have heard in a jazz performance. Particularly the interaction of the 2 trombones, and Darius' closing solo (I take the first alto solo; if he had gone first I would have sat this one out) - apparently not for all tastes, which is fine. But I do get great satisfaction at organizing performances like these.

as for the need to 'keep ahead' - anybody who knows me knows that I have never really worried about things like that (well, I worry about, it but in the end I just do what I do).

Edited by AllenLowe