Do you recognize this LP artwork?

Jim R

This question was first brought up by DaveO in the thread about Steve McQueen, here...  

... but since nobody has been able to solve the mystery, I thought I would start a new topic.  You can read the background info in the linked thread, but basically this LP was among those scattered on the floor in a photo of McQueen and his wife dancing.  The Roulette disc resting on the cover may or may not belong to this jacket, and it's still not completely clear whether we're looking at a front cover or a rear cover.  Here's the edited (rotated, enlarged) photo of the mystery cover art (upper left):

56a805882f23d_ScreenShot2016-01-26at4.49

I've adjusted the image a little bit to try to make it clearer.  Not sure if it helps, but here it is.

56a805882f23d_ScreenShot2016-01-26at4.49.54PM.thumb.jpg.9a110a9c3c8b3de504958b8a79139657aB.jpg

Anyway, the top word seems to be something like "W...N" and the second word may be "Live"

I kind of see a tall woman with dark hair on the left looking right and a man on the right looking left with two smaller figures between the two people in the foreground.

Or am I just seeing an ink blot?

Edited by alankin

The artwork can really play tricks on the eye, and I think it was intended to do so.  I don't know my art terminology, but I might liken it stylistically to Santana's first LP where multiple human figures become a lion's head.  I can kind of see the young lady you (edit: talking about Jim's post here) refer to (everything to the left comprising her hair), but that's not the first thing that stands out to my eye.  I see multiple human figures, but some of them I'm more confident about than others in terms of whether they're "real" or imagined.

At the upper left, I see a male figure (from head to knee area only, comprising about half the vertical space in the artwork) in a dark suit with a lighter tie or shirt.  He appears to be looking slightly to his right (our left).  

After awhile, I imagined that he has a female partner, perhaps walking or dancing with him.  She appears nearly full length (her feet would be hidden by the Roulette disc). All of the dark portion at the right side of the artwork would be her long flowing dress.  Her left arm may include a long white formal glove.  She appears to be wearing a light colored hat (extreme upper right).

At the lower left and center, I can imagine a few human faces, with everything flowing upward from perhaps the bell of a horn (the curve of which would be at the extreme lower left of the image).

Edited by Jim R

29 minutes ago, alankin said:

Anyway, the top word seems to be something like "W...N" and the second word may be "Live"

I kind of see a tall woman with dark hair on the left looking right and a man on the right looking left with two smaller figures between the two people in the foreground.

In the other thread, it was suggested that the words might be "Wilson" and "Live".  I'm still not sure either of those is correct, after doing some searching.

It's interesting that you see my upper left male figure as a female looking in the opposite direction.  I can now see that possibility, but I'm not able to picture your male figure.  I do agree that the two smaller "dots" between them could be people's heads in the distant background.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This is what looks like it might be a lady's head to me.

people2.jpg

Originally (and possibly still) I saw this as a man (perhaps african-american) looking to our left.  If it's a woman looking to our right, I'm wondering why her hair is darker on top and lighter below.  If it's a man looking to our left, that lighter area would be his face.  ?? I dunno.

27 minutes ago, mjzee said:

It still looks like a calypso dancer to me - her body is in the center, with two raised arms holding her plumage, and wearing a headdress.  

One of the figural elements that I've imagined but haven't mentioned is the "body" you refer to, the lighter colors being a torso, head, and raised arms.  I sort of ruled that out for some reason.  These lighter areas almost appear to me to be boundary areas separating the other themes and figures.

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I think he meant a dash in front of "Live", and I think the answer is possibly yes (something I too wondered about).

16 minutes ago, Jim R said:

Originally (and possibly still) I saw this as a man (perhaps african-american) looking to our left.  If it's a woman looking to our right, I'm wondering why her hair is darker on top and lighter below.  If it's a man looking to our left, that lighter area would be his face.  ?? I dunno.

It could be anything, really...I've had this thing up on my phone, expanded, and then stood 6-8 feet back to see if anything came into focus. The only thing that was really consistent after 20-30 tries was the impression of this being a young woman with long hair. However, that raises the issue - did women generally wear long straight hair like this ca. 1963 or thereabouts? Not so much that I know of.

There's always the possibility that this is a pop, folk, or spoken word, record, in which case, I give up. Not that I don't anyway.

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Right, except I'm now seeing that Can-Can was mostly about the skirt, while the LP cover in question might also include plumage/ruffles on the arms.  However, I also see the two figures facing each other, though the guy on the right seems like a P.G Wodehouse or Mr. Hulot type, and the woman on the left is wearing a hat and maybe a bustle.  So I still dunno. I'm also trying to factor in the albums that were around when the picture was taken (1963).  Can-Can yes, calypso maybe, burlesque perhaps?

Think: musical%2BMar%25C3%25ADlia%2BP%25C3%25AA

Edited by mjzee

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

There's always the possibility that this is a pop, folk, or spoken word, record, in which case, I give up. Not that I don't anyway.

I was thinking perhaps a soundtrack.

And dude, you can't give up.  DON'T LEAVE US HERE TO DIE!!  :g

On 4.2.2016 at 1:19 AM, Jim R said:

This question was first brought up by DaveO in the thread about Steve McQueen, here...  

The Roulette disc resting on the cover may or may not belong to this jacket, ...

56a805882f23d_ScreenShot2016-01-26at4.49

That´s the third Roulette label http://www.bsnpubs.com/roulette/roulettea.html until SR-25175 - see below. Does someone knows the backcover of this LP http://www.discogs.com/Dale-Hawkins-And-His-Escapades-Lets-All-Twist-At-The-Miami-Beach-Peppermint-Lounge/release/7757322 ?

14 hours ago, Jim R said:

Not sure why you're asking, but:

il_570xN.805211514_bfl8.jpg

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

This won't help any...

article-0-1201A6B2000005DC-549_964x626.j

I had the idea to check the Roulettes with the 'third' label from SR-25045 until SR-25175 and looking especially for LPs for dancers http://www.bsnpubs.com/roulette/roulettea.html .

I found out that there have been reissues by Roulettes with new own labels or by own sub-labels. I reckon that the picture given obove shows a backcover. But often you can find only frontcovers.

For Example:

Roulette R-25045 (mono), SR-25045 (stereo) Noro Morales at the Harvest Moon Ball:

http://www.discogs.com/Noro-Morales-His-Orchestra-Noro-Morales-And-His-Orchestra-At-The-Harvest-Moon-Ball/release/7687515

Reisued with the following 'fourth' label: http://www.ebay.it/itm/191688610260

Forum SF-9013 Noro Morales at the Harvest Moon Ball:

http://www.discogs.com/Noro-Morales-And-His-Orchestra-Noro-Morales-His-Orchestra-At-The-Harvest-Moon-Ball/master/767014

Note: Forum was a budget reissue label of Roulette http://www.discogs.com/label/37587-Forum-2

So far, no result of my research!

Edited by optatio

Bigfoot+Patterson+Gimlin+1967.JPG

Enhancement utilizing a sophisticated forensic blur reduction algorithm clearly reveals the photo as a still-shot from the Patterson video.  It's long been rumoured that John Denver, while in state of altered Rocky Mountain consciousness, produced a limited-run LP to salute to the men in uniform who selflessly serve to perpetuate this time-honored mythology./p,k