Blue Mitchell / Sonny Red - Uptown

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I don't have the space for a scanner. Well, how big is an Epson V300?

MG

You can also try it with a camera if you have a smartphone or any other device ... if the light is good and you can figure out some angle that works without too much reflection and distortion, it can turn out pretty decent.

20 minutes ago, king ubu said:

You can also try it with a camera if you have a smartphone or any other device ... if the light is good and you can figure out some angle that works without too much reflection and distortion, it can turn out pretty decent.

Hur hur, I don't have a smartphone, either. My wife got herself an ipad for Christmas but she won't let me use it and, as for getting her to do shots of West African K7s, well, forget it!

A friend of my daughter's does them, but I haven't yet succeeded in being able to copy the three he sent, via her, from his iphone. And, between them, they're slow as arseholes, as we used to say in the Army.

MG

On 4 February 2016 at 1:25 AM, Dan Gould said:

And only a few weeks wait this time?  Awesome!  And it just so happens that Feb 26 is the moving date for Plant City so this is going to be my own personal housewarming gift to myself!!  Better make sure I update my shipping address in Amazon. ;)

So the only question that comes to mind is whether this is a stray Left Bank tape making it's way to Uptown or are there more in the pipeline?

For that matter will we ever see more of the Piccadily tapes? It's like 2 or 3 years since the Hank was released, isn't it?

I remember reading Joel Dorn state (when he had access to the Left Bank tapes), that most had deteriorated to unlistenable and unreleasable condition. You insiders might know the veracity of that claim. 

Edited by robertoart

35 minutes ago, Niko said:

it's also included in Ellery Eskelin's list of Left Bank concerts (20 March 1966)

http://home.earthlink.net/~eskelin/leftbank.html

apparently, the Crystal Ballroom was a substitute location for about eight weeks in 1966

So, my fantasy would be that it's the Crystal Ballroom tapes that are in releasable shape, and next up will be:

4-10-66 HANK MOBLEY, tenor sax; McCOY TYNER, piano; JACK DEJOHNETTE, drums; EDDIE MARSHALL, bass (Crystal Ballroom)

53 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

So, my fantasy would be that it's the Crystal Ballroom tapes that are in releasable shape, and next up will be:

4-10-66 HANK MOBLEY, tenor sax; McCOY TYNER, piano; JACK DEJOHNETTE, drums; EDDIE MARSHALL, bass (Crystal Ballroom)

That would be nice!!

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Well, does that mean it fits into a space approx. foolscap size?

MG

It's about 11" x 16 1/2".  It will accommodate an 8 1/2" x 14" sheet of paper (or one of your A4's); one sad limitation is it will not accommodate an LP cover.  But for the other things I use it for (CD covers, K7's, and, of course, to use it as a copier), it's a great solution.

• 1 month later...