Miles Ahead Movie Trailer

BillF

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have some hope that this Miles movie will be OK, but also really don't want to get my expectations too far out of whack.

For instance, the recent Jimi Hendrix biopic "Jimi: All Is by My Side" was a huge disappointment (despite having been directed by the same guy who directed "12 Years a Slave").  The acting was great, and André Benjamin (André 3000 of Outkast) did an admirable job as Jimi.  But the story was just awful, and really did very little to shed any new light on Jimi, and if anything, shed the wrong light on a bunch of stuff that either didn't happen at all, or didn't really matter in the long run (or probably both).

No amount of "expectations management" going into it would have changed my experience of it, I realize, but I'd rather not get burned again so soon.  (At least the recent Brian Wilson biopic was good, though admittedly I didn't know that much about the whole Beach Boys/Brian Wilson thing.)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Hated, hated, *hated* "Whiplash" even though I admired J. K. Simmons's performance.

There was a lot I strongly disliked about "Whiplash" too, even hated, but a lot I liked too.

The acting was outstanding, esp. Simmons, but the whole mind-fuck power-play aspect of the storyline was absurd, and pissed me off deeply.

A great but DEEPLY flawed film, but one I'll probably never watch ever again.

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

The trailer sure doesn't enhance my optimism, but I like Cheadle, so I'll probably go see it.

For sure. I fail to see how "Miles Davis" firing "guns" at "white people" is not going to be a hootload of entertainment. I mean, what, is Tarrentino the only guy who's allowed to "go there" these days? Is the irony of that not obvious? Only "white directors" get  to make retro-Blaxploitation flicks these days?

Go, see, enjoy, watch a "Miles Davis" movie. We still got all the Miles Davis records in the world, don't we?

Really?????....my impression was that rather than portraying Miles as the musical genius he was .....the trailer gives the impression that he was mainly a gangster who occasionally played music....it could be the white guys deserved to get shot...but my fear is that a lot of white guys will give this movie a pass based on this trailer.

17 hours ago, duaneiac said:

But if this movie proves to be a commercial success, perhaps I should dust off and complete my screenplay for Thelonious Monk Vs. The Ninja Vampires From Mars . . .

(And yes, I can already hear the skeptics saying, "well you needn't" . . .)

Now that one, I would *definitely* go see!

gregmo