Black Satin (edit)

Dialogue: “Be musical about this shit...”

Prelude #II

Dialogue: “Y'all listening to them...?

Junior's Jam - Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Marcus Strickland

Francessence - Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Elena Pinderhughes

Back Seat Betty (excerpt)

Dialogue: “I don't like the word jazz...”

What's Wrong With That? - Don Cheadle, Robert Glasper, Gary Clark, Jr., Herbie Hancock, Keyon Harrold, Antonio Sanchez, EsperanzaSpaulding, Wayne Shorter

Gone 2015 - Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Pharoahe Monch 

13 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

That soundtrack is impressive (I know we'll only get tiny segments in the film). They could have played much safer.  

I've always thought of Miles' studio output within the years of about 1968-1973 as being VERY cinegraphic -- or maybe highly suitable to be paired with cinematography is a better way of saying it.  I think there's a LOT of films that could/would benefit by the inclusion of Miles' late-60's/early-70's material.

Just came out of the theater here in DC. Fun movie.

Some will hate it, but I liked it quite a bit. Felt like there was probably a fair bit of 'truth' about Miles within the fictionalized narrative. Cheadle did a great job acting, and a generally good directing (though maybe not award-worthy). And even a fair number of facts surrounding the 1979-era plot-line were (as best I'm recalling), true as well - or certainly based in fact. (Don't want to give away plot details, but what is actually known about those actual still unreleased 1978 sessions is not inconsistent with how they're ultimately represented in the film).

A net positive, far as I'm concerned. Could have been told with a lot more traditional narrative, but been less interesting. Sounds like it was impossible to get made, so you have to admire Cheadle's willingness to think outside the box and take chances.

Some of those chances work, maybe some not as well. But still worth seeing.  No regrets, and I'd watch it again.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Both movies (Miles and Chet) opened in Philly recently.  I guess I will see them but with much trepidation.  Then there is the upcoming Nina Simone movie.  I wish Hollywood would leave my icons alone.  Or let like someone like Bertrand Tavernier do them.  Round Midnight was the only "jazz movie" I really liked.

Have just seen it. While I concede that an element of fiction may be necessary in a good biopic, I'll leave you to judge the facts of this one. (Those concerned about spoilers look away.)

The movie shows the emergence of Miles from his stay-at-home phase to present a previously unheard sound - his electric period. (OK on the dates so far? :()

Miles, at war with the world in general, has one buddy throughout the movie - a Scotsman played by Ewan McGregor. As Peter Bradshaw writes in today's Guardian: "McGregor is arguably yet another example of the white partner that Hollywood requires of its African-American stars." Miles must be turning in his grave!

The seeds of the new sound are contained in a tape and Miles takes the final leap from the sounds on the tape via the assistance of a young trumpeter called Junior to achieve the electric period sound. (Don't even bother to check the biographies.) At one stage music industry baddies steal the tape, leading to a car chase and shootout.

Well, at least there was some nice music on the soundtrack! ^_^

Avoid the disappointment and don't even think about it being a jazz biopic. Think about it as a contemporary blaxploitation flick with a lead character named "Miles Davis" that roughly incorporates some traits of the character's real-life namesake.

It still might be a crappy film (or not) but at least you can judge it for what it really is, not what you think it's going to be.

1 hour ago, fasstrack said:

Is this movie worth seeing, or is it dreck? I've been burned every time I've seen a jazz biopic. Every time...

Well, it will certainly engage you. There'll be a response - you won't go to sleep - which is more than you can say of some movies! :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, BillF said:

Well, it will certainly engage you. There'll be a response - you won't go to sleep - which is more than you can say of some movies! :rolleyes:

I'm planning on going to see it this afternoon. It's had some pretty good write ups over here, particularly with regard to Don Cheadle's performance. I'm assuming something of an action/blaxploitation/comedy flick and not a verbatim Miles bio so expectations set realistically, hopefully.

I'm wondering if that Dave Braden character might be remotely modelled on Eric Nisensen (think it was he) who interviewed Miles at the end of the recluse period, wanted to help him with his autobio and ended up 'facilitating' as a favour to Davis. Maybe they also threw the Scots connection into the mix because of Ian Carr...:huh:

12 hours ago, BillF said:

Well, it will certainly engage you. 

Good !

Edited by sidewinder

I saw the movie last night and liked it more than I expected.   Cheadle does a convincing job as Miles.  As the NY Times said the film is "impressionistic" but there also seems to be enough attachment to actual happenings...although I have no idea whether Miles resorted to the use of guns as much as the film portrays.

The film does not skimp on and really showcases the fabulous music from several Miles eras which is always wonderful!

Having just seen it (audience of 6 and one departed half way through..:huh:) I have to say - I really liked it !

Don Cheadle's performance first rate - particularly as the later Miles. The early scenes in the brownstone with the cockroaches scuttling around can't have been too far from the truth ! If there was one weakness maybe it was the recreated earlier 50s and 60s scenes, which didn't have quite the narrative and flow of the 1979 bit. I appreciate though that a romantic narrative does help with box office.

I did particularly enjoy the (background, on the TV) recreation of the 1975 Osaka Hall concert right at the beginning and the telephone chat with Phil Shaap. Spot on !

The soundtrack was the real standout. Couldn't  have done a better job myself with the selection of music to intersperse with the 'action'.

Really liked the ending too featuring Herbie and Wayne !

Is it only me or did that slimy Columbia exec who nicked the rehearsal tape look a bit like Mel Lewis?...

Edited by sidewinder

Re your comment on audience numbers, R Davenport said "not very full, I'll wager" when I said I'd seen the movie. In fact, it was an audience of 20, 18 of whom were male, most elderly and on their own (like me). A comment on the audience for jazz today?

43 minutes ago, BillF said:

Re your comment on audience numbers, R Davenport said "not very full, I'll wager" when I said I'd seen the movie. In fact, it was an audience of 20, 18 of whom were male, most elderly and on their own (like me). A comment on the audience for jazz today?

Sadly, I guess so. Nobody under 40ish at my viewing. I'm putting it down to the fact that it was a Sunday afternoon in a provincial town but even so - a sad indication of the demographics. Shame, as there's much in this film that the younger crowd can enjoy..