A "lost" Don Patterson track? Yes it is!

mikeweil

One of my friends on the board, The Magnificent Goldberg, hipped me to a Prestige LP titled Stompin' which is a collection of five leftovers from sessions organist Shirley Scott recorded for Prestige, all of which were reissued on the Prestige twofer CD Workin'.

The sixth track of Stompin', This Can't Be Love, was credited to Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis with Don Patterson, Paul Weeden, and Billy James, but never reissued in any form, nor was it mentioned in Michel Ruplli's Prestige or any other discography. 

To confirm that this track is from the session of these musicians held at November 15, 1962 at Rudy Van Gelder's studio, which is the only one with that personnel, plus bassist George Duvivier, I would have to listen to this track, so: Does anybody here on the board happen to own this Stompin' LP or have a download or needle drop of it? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated - this LP seems to be a rare item.

Here is the link to the discogs page that shows this LP:

http://www.discogs.com/Shirley-Scott-Don-Patterson-Lockjaw-Davis-Stompin/release/3751413

Edited by mikeweil

The package arrived here today. The LP is in very good condition, but: Patterson does not solo on This Can't Be Love. Lockjaw states the theme, at a rather fast tempo, plays the first solo, and is followed by a lengthy Paul Weeden guitar solo, in his usual edgy style. Then we get some nice fours with drummer Billy James. Nice track, but no Don Patterson solo. There is an unidentified string bass player on the track; if the track is from the Lockjaw session made November 13, 1962, it must be George Duvivier; curiously, Duvivier is credited for playing on the next track of the LP, From This Moment On, when it is in fact Wendell Marshall on the April 18, 1960 session - maybe another indication that the Patterson track is from the Lockjaw session, as are the supervision credits: Esmond Edwards and Ozzie Cadena - the latter supervised the Lockjaw session in question. Unortunately, the album credits do not include recording dates - this would spell any doubts.

To me it is clear that this is the unissued track, not another version of Beano. I will see if I can digitize it - maybe next weekend. 

I am gradually entering the Patterson data into BRIAN to have a new revised disco ...

Edited by mikeweil