*** The Duke Ellington Corner ***

king ubu

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just picked up Jazz Party and Masterpieces By Ellington to add to Money Jungle. That makes 3 Ellingtons in my collection, yeehaw! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Jazz Party is really sounding good to me. Third time through!

:tup:tup:tup:tup

Gonna have to add to that low number of Ellingtons. No doubt about it. Checking the recs in this thread, may go with one of the boxes...when I'm rich.

Masterpieces on deck!

I've since added Blues In Orbit and Meets Count Basie. :tup:tup:tup:tup

Now I want everything from the "favorite Ellington suites" thread.

Thanks for the suggestion, Don. Between yours and Guy Berger's suggestions my bank account is going to take a beating. Well worth it for Ellington!

Maybe some day I'll have as many Ellington albums as Lon!

Nah, that's not possible. :g

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Duke meets Joan Miro during a visit to the Maeght Foundation in Saint-Paul de Vence on the French Riviera in July 1966.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExuuE4ZSVQU

Sculptures by Miro, Alexander Calder and Albert Giacometti are among the works shown on the video.

Playing with the Duke are bassist John Lamb and drummer Sam Woodyard.

The Duke Ellington orchestra was playing at the Juan les Pins/Antibes jazz festival, a few miles away, at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this available on DVD?

Did a quick search before posting this but could not find a DVD with it!

as far as i know it´s on the "bonus" dvd in the bmg rca bluebird cenntenial collection from 2004 together with "nine video selections that include two clips from Paramount shorts, among them "Symphony in Black" and "Record Making With Duke Ellington and His Orchestra," five clips from 1941, a selection from "Jamboree #7" from 1943, and an 11-minute interview with Ellington that was recorded for Radio Newsreel and is previously unreleased. " (this from all music guide).

keep boppin´

marcel

• 3 months later...

Scarecrow Press has the fifth edition of W.E. Timner's Ellingtonia announced as available as of next October 28!

Timner Ellingtonia 5th Edition

As this new edition of Timner still hasn't a list of releases for each track/session, I think I'll skip this one and stick to my 4th edition... and save money to pick Massagli/Volonté's "New DESOR", which is the reference work at this point.

• 4 weeks later...