*** The Duke Ellington Corner ***

king ubu

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a cd of Indigos also. I have all of these on cd and I expect that most of them are the same releases as in the box set. However I'd like to get any new masters. Does anyone know of they'll be offered separately?

The design of the box/booklet/slipcases looks very much like the Sony "Pop Market" releases - all of the music info is in the booklet - the detail on the disc sleeves is miniscule (you need to be astigmatism free to read these - I even have trouble with glasses)

Based on the design, I doubt whether these will be released individually unless the covers/sleeve info are redone.

I have a US copy of Blue Rose, and French copies of Bal Masque and A Drum is a Woman.

OK they've all been released on CD in some form

I suppose I was referring to US Columbia/Sony releases (especially the 2000's legacy remasters)

OK, you are correct then. All of these titles will be nice to have in one place and newly touched-up. I, for one, love the 50s/60s period of Ellington. I wonder if there will be a 60s box on the horizon. It seems that Sony has found it's "Mosaic" approach to boxed set mania which should keep it busy for years to come.

OK, down to two now (Drum & Indigos)

Official Indigos release (there has also been a boot on Jazz Essentials)

indigoscd.jpg

I have A Drum is a Woman on a French CBS cd; the Jazz Essential release mentioned by Augustin is a bootleg, not sure about the Tristar (I've never seen that one). It's too bad we're being ripped off and not given the two cd version previously produced, not released. Also too bad that the studio material presented falsely as live does not seem to be included (though they would be oddly orphaned apart from the real live versions). Still, they would have made a nice disc and made this set more complete.

There were two US releases of Blue Rose: a Mobile Fidelity and a Columbia.

Edited by jazzbo

[ It's too bad we're being ripped off and not given the two cd version previously produced, not released. Also too bad that the studio material presented falsely as live does not seem to be included (though they would be oddly orphaned apart from the real live versions). Still, they would have made a nice disc and made this set more complete.

Are you talking about A Drum is a Woman? I understand the reference to the 2 cd (Schaap) version but what is "the studio material presented falsely as live"?

The entire Bal Masque album is a fake live date.

So including it in a studio albums box is quite correct ... I still wish they'd fill up the discs with more bonus material (subjunctively put since I don't think there's much of a chance). The box won't be needed here, though official versions of "Indigos" and "A Drum" would be nice, and I'm sure "Bal Masque" can be done better than Collectables did it ... if the Schaap goof on "Such Sweet Thunder" would also be fixed ... I guess I might be in then, but still, I've got each of these albums, some even twice (and I think a used music store had the old French edition of "Such Sweet Thunder" there for ages, I might try my luck).

I just revisited the Bethlehem recordings for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten just how fantastic they are. The liner notes claim that Ellington was attempting to re-record in Hi Fi the original arrangements of some of his greatest compositions. But most of them are completely re-arranged, and with very strong results!

• 2 years later...

Question: what's the best way to acquire the Road Band albums? CD preferrably ... I see some 1990 Sony ones listed?

Those are what I have (Red Baron). They sound good, as do the prior LP issues.

Thanks! I'll see if I can get them for okay prices - seems offers online are a mess (confusing Vols 1 and 2 and the Collectables and those Sony/Red Baron ones). But I'll have to try, at least, since I really want to hear those!

Only have some copies of LaserLight releases. There's also a 2CD set "The Great Chicago Concerts", with Django sitting in .... this set is out again on Nimbus, but with Nimbus you might get CD-Rs, so I don't feel like ordering ...

Sorry, my bad - it's MusicMasters, this one:

MI0001844451.jpg

and this is the currently in print (or CD-R on demand, I'd love to know, if it's CD proper I'd buy it in a second!) one:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Concerts-Chicago-Duke-Ellington/dp/B002BZOVHU/

Yes, MusicMasters, not Music and Arts. It's awesome. I'd look for it used, that's not likely to be a cdr.