Smalls/Mezzrow's website - live streams and A/V library

Edlock8718

I almost hate to mention it to a feasibly global community, 'cuz I would hate to burden their servers and potentially slaughter their streams, but I nonetheless feel like I owe the people here something. The NY clubs Smalls and Mezzrow, run by the fantastic pianist Spike Wilner who regularly performs at both venues, has put a great version of their combined website http://www.smallslive.com that not only features video streams from the shows at both clubs every night but also has several years worth of audio and/or video recordings going several years back. This requires a paid membership, that has since been worked out to pay the performing musicians a cut whenever their shows are given a listen or look. There is a lot of quality performances - as may have already been found by many on the "Smalls Live" albums that the club put out a few years ago - at both clubs. A New Yorker, I particularly love the duo and/or trio shows, often piano and a bass, at Mezzrow's, and while I cannot claim the a/v comes anywhere near capturing the amazing acoustics of this small "listening room", it is still a great way to hear everything that I simply cannot afford to witness on-site. Check it out, at least until you start to notice any buffering in the streams...

I've been a member/subscriber for several months now and I'm in heaven.  Living in the Boston area, I am so happy to be able to check out live jazz in NYC right at home.  Finally visited both Mezzrow and Small's for the first time this past summer and now it is a real treat to have the live feed. This evening, I've been listening live to  trumpeter Kenyatta Beasley with Anthony Wonsey, Alvester Garnett, Mark Gross,Dezron Douglas, Keith Loftis.  ...and the archives...I spent many hours there, too!  I also love that I'm supporting the club and musicians with the monthly subscription fees. 

• 2 months later...

Have signed up with Smalls and watched the music from there and Mezzrow early this morning. Particularly enjoyed the Johnny O'Neal late solo set at Mezzrow. Video quality great and the audio more than acceptable for me.

Never thought I'd see the day when you could catch top notch NYC club sets live from the English countryside ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder