Kenny Drew Jr. in West Palm Beach

MartyJazz

Kenny Drew Jr. appeared last night (2/24) at the Harriet Himmel Gilman Theater in the City Place shopping district of West Palm Beach. The concert was sponsored by JAMS (Jazz Arts Music Society of Palm Beach). His rhythm section mates were Bill Pillucere on bass and Tom Carabasi (d). Not having been especially knocked out by K.D. Jr's CDs, I went anyway because if you're into pure live jazz, southeast Florida does not offer much so one must take advantage of any opportunity to do so. In any event, I was forced to reassess my opinion of this pianist. He swung, both on evergreens ("Gone With the Wind", "In Your Own Sweet Way") and on originals composed by him and his more venerated father. Technically, he was quite impressive. He also performed an exquisite solo classical piece by a little known black composer, Robert Nathaniel Dent (sp?). This wasn't so much of a surprise in that the bio in the program indicated that he has been performing classical recitals in the past couple of years. All in all, well worth the reasonable $20 admission. :tup

I did many gigs with Kenny in the late 70s and early 80s. He's GREAT - absolutely GREAT. One of the best pianists I've ever heard or gigged with. He's got it all -chops, taste, knowledge - and in any bag. A great ear, He can hear it and play it.

Funny thing tonight. Two of my old cohorts showing up on separate threads - the other being Vic Juris.

I'm from South Florida too. Unfortunately I missed the Kenny Drew Jr. concert. But on February 7th I was fortunate to attend the Melton Mustafa jazz festival at Florida Memorial College where MM teaches. Among the players in an all star band for the occasion were Dr. Billy Taylor, Clark Terry, Benny Golson, Jon Faddis, Mark Whitaker, and Winard Harper. To see these legends enjoy playing together was a once in a lifetime treat for me.

• 17 years later...