Anyone else is going to the WFMU record fair?

Dmitry

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2016 at 2:24 PM, sidewinder said:

Wish I could go - alas too far away and the £/$ would probably just about buy me a couple of DMM Blue Notes. Happy hunting for those who get to go and let us know what you got !

I did well. Nothing outrageously expensive... sure, those records were there, but there was much to find outside of that.

In the jazz realm, best scores were:

Giorgio Gaslini - Message - (BASF Italy)

Mico Nissim - Glucose Confectionnerie - (Futura FR)

Saheb Sarbib - Live in Europe vol. 2 - (Marge FR) (with Muhammad Ali and Joseph Dejean)

Allan Praskin - Encounter - (Three Blind Mice, JP)

Masahiko Togashi - The Face of Percussion - (Paddle Wheel, JP)

Karel Krautgartner - Boleraz - (Amadeo, AUS) really gorgeous clarinet-driven modal/post-bop tunes

plus 2 Harry De Wit LPs on Bead, some nice folk and ethnographic recordings, etc., bought about 20 records I think.

2 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

I just played my mid-80d DMM of "gettin around" and it sounded fine; for me it's just the idea more then anything haha.  

The Praskin is a good album, Clifford!

I have no DMMs except for the Dolphy "Other Aspects." 

Yeah, it's really good. I'd been looking for it for years, just figured it was one that would pop up in person at some point... and it did. Love it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://hothousejazz.com/calender.php

Too many choices in NY, as always. Vast majority of the names I don't recognize. I've got Friday and Saturday nights open.

Bill Stewart Trio is playing the Vanguard. Who's in the trio? 

Cooper Hewitt Museum has an exhibition titled THE JAZZ AGE: AMERICAN STYLE IN THE 1920S. Very cool. 

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/exhibitions/69117611

Saturday is the Sonny Rollins Tribute at the Purchase College - Ravi Coltrane, James Carter, Lovano, Jimmy Heath. 

https://tickets.artscenter.org/single/eventDetail.aspx?p=6144

Yeah, I saw that, and am still considering. I saw Bobby maybe 15 years ago, with the late John Hicks and Valery Ponomarev in a Harlem joint called Something-something? Lounge.

The Saturday night Rollings tribute is so very tempting.Some seats are still available.

DONE. I just couldn't pass on this. It's about a 90 min drive from our home base in Brooklyn, but looks to be more than worth it.

Edited by Dmitry