Anyone else is going to the WFMU record fair?

Dmitry

Went Saturday. Forgot how big this place was. An unsettling number of dealers and buyers. I love the friendly vibe. Got 5 or 6 records. I've been on the Miainstream gatefold kick lately, so got a couple of those. Noticed an oddity - very few original Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans and Miles albums in the bins.Usually you see them, they are quite expensive, but they are there. Not this time.  Possible reason for that ...I saw several Japanese pickers, so they must've been cleaning up the original pressings. One young guy in particular I saw at a few tables that I was browsing, he had a DISK UNION-headered pad on which he marked the number of albums he was buying, and the prices. Must've been either an employee or a commissioned picker for them. Probably a non-English speaker, he was conducting his trade with just pointing and making hand jestures. Another older Japanese guy who didn't speak English was also picking up serious jazz stock. The market for 45s must be strong in Japan, they were actively buying those. Original R&B was going strong also. Many young kids, a good number of women buyers. Had a great time, spent about 4 hours there.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Most people probably grabbed the super high-dollar Blue Notes on Friday.

Yeah, I think so. It's the same with antiques also. Most trades take place the day before the shows open to the public. The early buying at WFMU attracts people with serious funds. One seller from Jersey City told me he sold 2k worth of records on Friday.

I was tempted to pull a trigger on a hand-painted Sun Ra Sleeping Beauty record, but it was priced out of my comfort.

Surprisingly to me, many punk records were priced very high, some in 4 figures. Go figure.

• 10 months later...

@Kevin Bresnahan do you know what i just learned this week dog, if we were from another planet, we could just conciously enter the the 2nd dimension to cut on travel time and step back into the 3rd on arival.  it sounds like sci fi but im telling you this stuff really happens, people in the us government know all about it.....but the president jasnt had control and congress havent had knowloege of new developements since 1956

• 5 years later...