Verve reissues 2016 for 60th anniversary

ghost of miles

On 2/25/2016 at 0:08 PM, thirdtry said:

If Verve really wanted to do something nice for their 60th anniversary, they could bring back into print some of their great box sets like the Jazz at the Philharmonic set, the complete Lester Young set, and the Norman Granz Jam Sessions box.

That would be worthwhile.

I have the Jam Sessions box available  if someone wants a good deal on it.  It's fine, but my tastes being what they are, I'm never going to listen to it again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25 February 2016 at 3:56 PM, tranemonk said:

Anybody got any more info on this Ella JATP release?

It's up on Amazon US here.

"For the first time, the complete JATP performances of Ella Fitzgerald issued by Verve on various albums, now in one dynamic live set featuring some of the greatest musicians of all time. The collection includes concerts from 1949, 1953 and 1954 and features appearances by Charlie Parker, Lester Young, and Hank Jones among others. The newly remastered collection includes an essay by author Will Friedwald. One of the most prestigious labels in the history of jazz, Verve Records is celebrating its 60th anniversary with a trove of historic reissues and stunning new collections from its legendary archives. The release schedule constitutes a who's-who of jazz legends, including such pioneers as Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Louis Armstrong, Jimmy Smith, Stan Getz, and the label's heart and soul, Ella Fitzgerald."

1. Norman Granz Announces Ella Fitzgerald - 1949 First Set

2. Robbins Nest - 1949 First Set

3. A New Shade Of Blues - 1949 First Set

4. Old Mother Hubbard - 1949 First Set

5. I'm Just A Lucky So-and-So - 1949 First Set

6. Somebody Loves Me - 1949 First Set

7. Basin Street Blues - 1949 First Set

8. Ow! Introduction of Ella Fitzgerald - 1949 First Set

9. Flying Home - 1949 First Set

10. Oh, Lady Be Good! 1949 Second Set

11. Black Coffee - 1949 Second Set

12. A-Tisket, A-Tasket - 1949 Second Set

13. How High The Moon - 1949 Second Set

14. Norman Granz Announcement - 1949 Second Set

15. Perdido - 1949 Second Set

16. Bill - 1953 Set

17. Why Don't You Do Right? 1953 Set

18. A Foggy Day (In London Town) - 1954 Set

19. Lullaby Of Birdland - 1954 Set

20. The Man That Got Away - 1954 Set

21. Hernando's Hideaway - 1954 Set

22. Later - 1954 Set

• 2 weeks later...

Not part of the 6oth but it might as well be posted here. A new repackage box set series from Verve. I assume these are old VME, VBR and other earlier masterings in mini album sleeves. They are about £15 on Amazon UK:
5-Original-Albums-Verve.jpg

Edited by crisp

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this Marcel.  So, *none* of these were on the "Complete" Bird Verve box?  Looks like a fair number of false starts and breakdowns, but still.  Between this one and the Strings reissue, one wonders how the people who put together the "Complete" box defined the word!

gregmo

47 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Thanks for posting this Marcel.  So, *none* of these were on the "Complete" Bird Verve box?  Looks like a fair number of false starts and breakdowns, but still.  Between this one and the Strings reissue, one wonders how the people who put together the "Complete" box defined the word!

gregmo

Phil Schaap was involved with all of these. How bout dat!

3 hours ago, Quasimado said:

Re Bird the m/f played some of those unissued takes on Bird Flight and still didn't include them in his "complete" box!  Q :angry:

It's been brought to my notice that the "Complete Charlie Parker on Verve" was issued in 1988 (28 years ago), which could mean that although Phil had access to the Verve archives at the time, they may have been incomplete, and the new alternatives are recent discoveries.  If that's true, I may have done Phil a disservice. Q

Edited by Quasimado
Format

Schaap can't win for losing. Perhaps the additional Bird tapes came to light after the "Complete" set was issued. I don't know about that. But there were people who complained when everything was included in the Mosaic Benedetti box and said it should have been edited. Now, it seems that the false starts, etc. should have been included in the Verve box (assuming they were available back then).

• 2 months later...
On 24 March 2016 at 5:13 PM, crisp said:

Not part of the 6oth but it might as well be posted here. A new repackage box set series from Verve. I assume these are old VME, VBR and other earlier masterings in mini album sleeves. They are about £15 on Amazon UK:
5-Original-Albums-Verve.jpg

Amazon UK has reduced all these to £7.99 each.

• 2 weeks later...