John Chilton, 1932-2016

duaneiac

On a West Coast Jazz online group I belong to Steve Voce has posted that trumpeter and author John Chilton passed away this morning.  I see that Mr. Chilton's Wikipedia entry now confirms this.

I have his Who's Who of Jazz as well as his biographies of Coleman Hawkins and Louis Jordan, although I have yet to read the latter. 

May he Rest In Peace.

Edited by duaneiac

Rest in peace, and thanks for the groundbreaking work at a time when not many others cared.

And thanks for holding some very worthwhile jazz and R&B books in stock at your Bloomsbury Book Shop when I shopped there in 1977 and through mail order in the years thereafter. Providede me with some excellent input (and impetus) for my future collecting "career". ;)

First encountered him with the Armstrong biography that him and Max Jones did, which for some reason my high school library ordered, never cataloged, and let me keep after graduation. Tax dollars at work, hell yeah!

Everything I've read by him since has been informative, entertaining, and enriching.

RIP, and nicely played, sir.

14 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

And it a tribute to his Who's Who of Jazz that this book of short biographies still holds up well after nearly 60 years.

Not quite yet, actually. 45 years, to be exact. The book first appeared in 1970. And updated editions are around (and they did not suffer from this updating IMHO, so what holds up today often is not even 45 years old yet). ;)

20 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Rest in peace, and thanks for the groundbreaking work at a time when not many others cared.

And thanks for holding some very worthwhile jazz and R&B books in stock at your Bloomsbury Book Shop when I shopped there in 1977 and through mail order in the years thereafter. Providede me with some excellent input (and impetus) for my future collecting "career". ;)

John Chilton's bookshop was in the street behind where I used to work and opposite Great Ormond Street hospital. It was a great place to visit. Apart from loads of secondhand jazz and blues books it had tons of back copies of magazines like Jazz Monthly and Jazz Journal. There was a wonderful musty bookstore smell about the place as well. I seem to recall that John's wife (Theresa?) ran the place most of the time.

11 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Not quite yet, actually. 45 years, to be exact. The book first appeared in 1970. And updated editions are around (and they did not suffer from this updating IMHO, so what holds up today often is not even 45 years old yet). ;)

Yeah - I was trying to say nearly 50 years.

Never went to the shop but always recall their advert in 'Jazz Journal'. I have a copy of the Hawkins bio and must give it another read.

RIP, must have seen him live on at lest one occasion but can't recall the specifics. I don't think it was with George Melly.

18 hours ago, JohnS said:

Sad new,  Our music could do with a few more like him.

I cannot recall ever going to the bookshop. I think on one occasion I tried but found it closed.

Yep, I'm in the same category. No excuse really, as I was studying just up the road !