American String Quartets 1950-1970 (VoxBox)

JSngry

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Is this music available elsewhere at a more "in-print" price, or is it one of those gotta pay the band things?

418X2N3853L.jpg

I keep hearing selections on Pandora and I want it, but not at an unnecessarily expensive price.

Got a copy but am pretty sure I want to hold onto it. Don't care for all the works/composers, but the Concord was one heck of a group.

41 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Got a copy but am pretty sure I want to hold onto it. Don't care for all the works/composers, but the Concord was one heck of a group.

Ditto. The "bleeps and bloops" material hasn't aged well (Lejaren Hiller comes to mind), but it's a pretty good set overall, and the "Black Angels" is excellent. Sorry I can't help, but OTOH I don't recommend paying overly much for the set, since most of the non-obscure pieces have been recorded elsewhere (surely Cage, Feldman, Wolff are on mode if not others; Wolpe in general has been heavily recorded; there must be non-Kronos "Black Angels" out there; I don't recall digging the Brown; don't recall the Druckman at all; one could probably do without the Hiller).

Funny how these recordings age. VoxBoxes were originally super-budget priced, and a lot of them languished at Berkshire for long periods of time. And now they sell at big premiums...The other 2 VoxBoxes in the series ("Early American SQ" with a piece attributed, perhaps spuriously, to Benjamin Franklin, plus "1900-1950") are also worth hearing, though less compelling.

Edited by T.D.

Solid anthology, I wouldn't pay more than $10 though, it's sorta thing that might at times be 'rare' esp. since (I'm near certain) you can get all works elsewhere... Hold fire and get 

Jacob Druckman / Group for Contemporary Music disc on Naxos (reissue of CD originally on Koch)

with the $$$ you've saved, snag same label / band's Wolpe recital

then, if you have bones leftover, splurge a for the Leon Kirchner / Orion Quartet 2-cd on Albany

don't worry / wait / listen elsewhere Cage, Feldman, Crumb 

Taking notes about other versions, thanks, but the group sound of the Concord Quartet is something I'd like to get into on my own time, not though Pandora's algorithms. They always make me look to see who it is that's playing "like that". Sometimes I look to see who's the composer, and sometimes I don't look at all. But with these things, it's always looking to see who the players are.