Andrew Hill

JCR1992

I just bought three Andrew Hill CD's: 

Grass Roots, Change, and Passing Ships. 

I'm looking for which albums I should get next by him. 

I know Point of Depature is widely considered his best and most famous album and I am not that crazy about it. I listened to for the first time when I was 12 years old and now I'm 24 and I like it a little bit more but not enough to buy at the moment. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, paul secor said:

I'm not a big Andrew Hill fan, so perhaps I shouldn't respond, but if I were to listen to one of his recordings, it would be Judgment.

Judgment would be my choice too.

There's a really wonderful vibraphonist on that record. ...Can't seem to remember his name... ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

If the OP is perhaps wanting something more "traditional" by Hill, I unhesitatingly recommend Shades on Soul Note. Clifford Jordan, Rufus Reid, & Ben Riley, just a splendid offering in every regard, with the caveat that it might be hard to find these days.

Also, Spiral, his "comeback" album on Arista/Freedom is a blast. Lee Konitz (on soprano, alto and tenor no less) & Robin Kenyatta on the same record! Not at the same time, but that was probably well enough left alone. :alien:

Thank you guys for giving me so many recommendations. I decided to get Black Fire, Judgement, and Pax. Nobody mentioned Pax but I saw Freddie Hubbard and Joe Henderson are on it so it has to be pretty good I would assume. I want to get Dance with Death but I could not find it anywhere for a reasonable price. 

16 hours ago, JCR1992 said:

Thank you guys for giving me so many recommendations. I decided to get Black Fire, Judgement, and Pax. Nobody mentioned Pax but I saw Freddie Hubbard and Joe Henderson are on it so it has to be pretty good I would assume. I want to get Dance with Death but I could not find it anywhere for a reasonable price. 

Pax is fine, but it feels like a Blue Note pickup date more than most of Andrew's BN dates.  There are a lot of AH albums I would pick up before this one.

The recommendation of Black Fire is right on.  This is one of the very best AH recordings, period.  I would put Judgment and Andrew!!! (along with Passing Ships, which you have) pretty close in the next tier.  Compulsion is also in that next tier, but it's more firmly in the avant-garde category than the other recordings I'm mentioning - not sure if that is a minus for you as a listener.

As far as post-1970 AH, Shades (w/Clifford Jordan) is a fantastic date, albeit much more straight-ahead than the BN stuff.  And I love Dusk too.

Edited by Guy Berger