Andrew Hill

JCR1992

I am very fond of the "comeback" BNs as well. I give the slight edge to BUT NOT FAREWELL for mood. But ETERNAL SPIRIT contains some of Hill's most bright and joyous music.

I used to be a bit cool on POINT OF DEPARTURE, but I've grown to admire it more over the last couple of years.

I think DIVINE REVELATION might be his most underrated record. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I am very fond of the "comeback" BNs as well. I give the slight edge to BUT NOT FAREWELL for mood.

I like them both, really. But Bobby Hutcherson on an Andrew Hill Blue Note that was NOT from the "golden age"....that just gives me another lens through which to listen, and you know me, I like my lenses. :g

9 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Was VERY fortunate to see Andrew Hill and his group back in 1999 or 2000 about the time Dusk was released. With old friends from Jazz Corner/Jazz Central Station. The band included Chris Potter, Ron Horton, Scott Colley & Billy Drummond.

it was a spectacular set at The Knitting Factory. I remember that Potter was outrageous as was Drummond IIRC

RIP, Sisco

peace and blessings

I thank that I was there with you and I'm almost positive it was at Birdland. Maybe that band played at both venues, but I saw an incredible show with a bunch of Jazz Corner forumites at Birdland. I've never been to the Knitting Factory. I think the show I went to was recorded too but something happened to the tape so they didn't release that particular show but another one recorded a short time later.

40 minutes ago, bresna said:

I thank that I was there with you and I'm almost positive it was at Birdland. Maybe that band played at both venues, but I saw an incredible show with a bunch of Jazz Corner forumites at Birdland. I've never been to the Knitting Factory. I think the show I went to was recorded too but something happened to the tape so they didn't release that particular show but another one recorded a short time later.

There might have been a gig at Birdland but I wasn’t at that one. I remember the promotion of the show as they called it his new sextet and didn’t announce any of the musicians. It was part of the festival that the Knitting Factory hosted for a couple/three years. Not sure if it was the same year but a bunch of us saw Dave Holland’s group with Billy Kilson, Steve Nelson, Potter & Robin Eubanks on trombone I think. Paul B, Gordon B, Thelil, Josh, Dark Anthony and one year Bruce K Woods IIRC were among the celebrities - and Jill the first year...we also saw Mario Pavone Trio, Dave Douglas and David S Ware - but the years all blend together 20 years later...

14 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Was VERY fortunate to see Andrew Hill and his group back in 1999 or 2000 about the time Dusk was released. With old friends from Jazz Corner/Jazz Central Station. The band included Chris Potter, Ron Horton, Scott Colley & Billy Drummond.

it was a spectacular set at The Knitting Factory. I remember that Potter was outrageous as was Drummond IIRC

RIP, Sisco

That is sad news about Gary--thanks for letting us know.  Had very occasional but always-enlightening and friendly correspondence with him a few years back.  

On 27/09/2020 at 10:49 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Was VERY fortunate to see Andrew Hill and his group back in 1999 or 2000 about the time Dusk was released.

same here - got to see him here (Brisbane) back in October 1996 - played solo at the Queensland Conservatorium to an audience (in a small performance room) of less than 20 people - magic!!

A group of us ended up at a coffee shop with him afterwards - he was desperately trying to quit smoking

Edited by romualdo

3 hours ago, romualdo said:

A group of us ended up at a coffee shop with him afterwards - he was desperately trying to quit smoking

I had a chat with him whilst he was supping a beer backstage after a later gig in the noughties - very nice guy. He signed my Mosaic booklet and some CDs too. I was saddened by his comment that he rarely got to do the tourist thing when he travelled round to all these places. He was in Bath at the time and the obvious thing would have been to check out the local sights such as the Roman Baths but alas, not on the agenda.

Edited by sidewinder

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I had a chat with him whilst he was supping a beer backstage after a later gig in the noughties - very nice guy. He signed my Mosaic booklet and some CDs too. I was saddened by his comment that he rarely got to do the tourist thing when he travelled round to all these places. He was in Bath at the time and the obvious thing would have been to check out the local sights such as the Roman Baths but alas, not on the agenda.

He signed my Mosaic box (brought the whole thing along) "You bought the big one" over the front pic plus my Point Of Departure LP "Thanks For Keeping Me Alive"

On 9/29/2020 at 2:43 AM, romualdo said:

He signed my Mosaic box (brought the whole thing along) "You bought the big one" over the front pic plus my Point Of Departure LP "Thanks For Keeping Me Alive"

From what I've heard, that thanks extends to Bruce Lundvall, Michael Cuscuna & Tom Evered as they supposedly tore up the old Blue Note contracts and re-did them to match current recording contracts, which resulted in artists like Andrew being able to able to make a few bucks off of their back catalog.

PoD isn't my favorite Hill by a long shot but it's the first one I heard -- it wasn't easy to find his albums in Kansas in the '90s, and that record impressed me. Hell, it's still impressive even if I reach for others instead.

May have mentioned this elsewhere but the only time I saw him was at the Jazz Showcase leading a quartet with Greg Tardy, John Hébert, and Nasheet Waits. Really heavy gig!