MLB 2016 Season Thread Of Discussions

JSngry

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if the Braves are able to compete for a pennant by 2017, when they move into the new park.  I think the rebuilding process is going to take longer than that. To be competitive that quickly, they'd need to spend some serious money on free agents -- particularly hitters. I don't see that happening.

I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

• 3 weeks later...

Joe Garagiola has died.  RIP.

I remember that he said that almost everyone in the majors was the best high school player in his town.  But he was not only not the best player in his town, he wasn't even the best player on his block.  He lived across the street from Yogi Berra!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/23/hall-fame-sportscaster-mlb-catcher-joe-garagiola-dead-at-90.html

16 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Joe Garagiola has died.  RIP.

I remember that he said that almost everyone in the majors was the best high school player in his town.  But he was not only not the best player in his town, he wasn't even the best player on his block.  He lived across the street from Yogi Berra!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/23/hall-fame-sportscaster-mlb-catcher-joe-garagiola-dead-at-90.html

Funny - I recently saw something in the N.Y. Times where his granddaughter (or perhaps great granddaughter) got married. When the article mentioned him, I was surprised that he was still living.

That bald head protected his life like his body protected the plate!

Remembering the vast # of commercials he did for some line of the Chrysler family, Dodge, was it?

Probably long forgotten now, but actually a pop culture figure in the 70s, a regular gig on the Today show, the commercials, hosted some parades, iirc, and all those appearances on the Tonight show, with the the piccolo-led "Take Me Out to The Ball Game" play on.

RIP.

Season starts on Sunday for Mets.  Their record for spring training was abysmal, losing 13 in a row. On Sunday it's into the fire as they play the Royals. 

Expectations are high so if they start slowly, the pressure will mount. 

Edited by Brad

On March 31, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Brad said:

Season starts on Sunday for Mets.  Their record for spring training was abysmal, losing 13 in a row. On Sunday it's into the fire as they play the Royals. 

Expectations are high so if they start slowly, the pressure will mount. 

Cespedes ends up being the negative difference maker for the Mets yet again. 

What a lazy assclown...

Sox opener goes just like they drew it up:

Six innings from new ace Price, and an inning a piece from Tazawa, Uehara, and Kimbrel - who struck out 5 of 10 batters.

Betts homers early and Papi homers late and the Sox win 6-2. Ortiz had a double earlier so the last Opening Day of his career went about as well as you could hope.

We'll see if the last day of his career coincides with championship #4. :g

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Sox opener goes just like they drew it up:

Six innings from new ace Price, and an inning a piece from Tazawa, Uehara, and Kimbrel - who struck out 5 of 10 batters.

Betts homers early and Papi homers late and the Sox win 6-2. Ortiz had a double earlier so the last Opening Day of his career went about as well as you could hope.

We'll see if the last day of his career coincides with championship #4. :g

Sorry about Pablo Sandoval not working out for your guys.

I think now you now why my Giants didn't aggressively go after him. He was more box office sales than a legit talent. Great glove man, a fair bat but attitude up the yin-yang. Food me.

Edited by Tim McG

On April 4, 2016 at 5:54 AM, Scott Dolan said:

Cespedes ends up being the negative difference maker for the Mets yet again. 

What a lazy assclown...

Yeah, he dropped one but he will win more than he loses and he's not the sole reason they lost the game.  Harvey wasn't tremendously effective. Anyway, Syndergaard and the pen took care of business today. 

He received the gold glove last year as a left fielder.  However, the plan is to play him in CF because Conforto can't play CF and Granderson is in RF.  Yes, this team won't be strong defensively and there will be some lapses in the outfield.