MLB 2016 Season Thread Of Discussions

JSngry

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I was watching the postgame show after the Giants beat the D-Backs tonight, and one of our announcers says...  "RBI's tonight by Parker, Gillespie, and Grant Green..."

I'm not making this up.

Edited by Jim R

Nice article from SI on Ken Griffey Jr.'s impending induction into the HOF:

Ken Griffey Jr. prepares for his proper baseball sendoff as the Hall awaits

The year before, he’d pulled a subtler prank on another teammate: Alex Rodriguez, then an 18-year-old rookie shortstop who, like Griffey, had been the top pick in the draft. Griffey enlisted Seattle’s trainer, Rick Griffin, to convince Rodriguez that the club’s stars—including Buhner and Randy Johnson—were involved in a scheme to sell their sperm to the highest bidder, as if they were thoroughbred stallions, and that Rodriguez might himself attract an appreciable stud fee. He brought in a fake doctor. “Dude, you got great genes,” Griffey told the rookie. The callow Rodriguez was skeptical at first. Then he started to come around. “How much money do you think we could make?” he asked. Griffey, mercifully, pulled the plug before donations were to be harvested. “Everybody has rookie hazing,” he says. “That was his.”

:lol:

On 7/2/2016 at 5:48 AM, JSngry said:

Giants declining to use the DH, that was a statement...

Yup. 1st time in 40 years a NL manager has declined to use the DH.

MadBum went 4-1 with a single and scored a run.

BTW....the San Francisco Rivercats [Giants] are holding up pretty well considering all the injures. Best record in baseball right now.

However, I will offer my kingdom for a bullpen; aka, the Arson Squad. 18 blown saves. Leads the league. Ugh.

How I look every time Casilla or Strickland come in to pitch.

13645291_1139128976125405_51064754428179

Edited by Tim McG

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see what trades get executed before August 1--sounds as if the Yankees are close to dealing Chapman. That would be a smart move at this point, as they are, as I thought early on, pretty much a .500 non-playoff ball club. They'll still have Miller and Betances in the bullpen, and Chapman, who will be a free agent at the end of this season, says he enjoys playing for the Yankees so much that he wants to come back if he does get traded away.

On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 9:33 AM, paul secor said:

And he will receive that every year until 2036. Reading about the way that so many athletes blow away their money, this was a very smart move by his agent.

Deferred compensation.

What the hell is going on with Chris Sale?  He doesn't like the throw-back uniforms so he pitches a fit including taking scissors to his jersey and now he's suspended by the team for five days? 

And, will they move past this or could this precipitate some huge trade now? Supposedly they turned down a 'king's ransom' already.

And, I hear that the Cubbies might get Chapman from the Yanks, without including Kyle Schwarber  in the deal and it wouldn't be a rental but is predicated on signing him to an extension? Me likey, if Theo can pull it off.

And apparently Theo pulled the trigger but he didn't ink Chapman to an extension. He gave up 4 prospects plus swing-man Adam Warren for a two month rental plus the playoffs. At least it wasn't Schwarber, and the headliner is a shortstop who is in A ball and blocked by two guys in front of him.

Still a lot to pay but it definitely changes the late-inning equation. Better to put Aroldis out there than to face him. 

GO CUBBIES!!!

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

What the hell is going on with Chris Sale?  He doesn't like the throw-back uniforms so he pitches a fit including taking scissors to his jersey and now he's suspended by the team for five days? 

And, will they move past this or could this precipitate some huge trade now? Supposedly they turned down a 'king's ransom' already.

And, I hear that the Cubbies might get Chapman from the Yanks, without including Kyle Schwarber  in the deal and it wouldn't be a rental but is predicated on signing him to an extension? Me likey, if Theo can pull it off.

It's a done deal, but no word of an extension yet: 

Chapman to Cubs

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

It's a done deal, but no word of an extension yet: 

Chapman to Cubs

How's that for a simultaneous quote. Smart move by the Yankees at this point even if they somehow squeak into the post-season. They paid little for Chapman and flip him for a lot of raw talent that their minor league system usually lacks.

There has been talk that Chapman enjoys playing in N.Y. and that he may sign as a free agent with the Yankees if they're willing to pay the price. To my mind, the Yankees need hitting more than a returning closer. Andrew Miller was the best closer in the AL last year and he can do the job again.

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

And? Still a smart move by his agent. $1,2 mil. for each of the next twenty years - Bonilla is set for life.

Not bad for the agent either, $120 thou a year for twenty years for something he handled in what, the '90s? 

On 7/24/2016 at 10:49 AM, paul secor said:

Watching Jeff Samardzija pitch for the Giants against the Yankees reminded me of his days as an excellent wide receiver for Notre Dame. He made a wise choice to choose baseball over football. He'll probably have a longer career and he'll probably end up with his body and mind intact.

I think he was a good pick-up, TBH.

Now all he needs is some offensive support...and a bullpen which can close the deal.

On July 25, 2016 at 1:57 PM, paul secor said:

There has been talk that Chapman enjoys playing in N.Y. and that he may sign as a free agent with the Yankees if they're willing to pay the price. To my mind, the Yankees need hitting more than a returning closer. Andrew Miller was the best closer in the AL last year and he can do the job again.

And Cleveland just got Andrew Miller from the Yankees for 4 minor leaguers.