MLB 2016 Season Thread Of Discussions

JSngry

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

There is no way a guy who plays a third of a season should be considered for the RoY.

Do understand the standard RoY requierements ... but the feats achieved by Sanchez happened during the last 1-2 months (of the regular season), where I tend to believe things are even more challenging - so this is a very special situation .... but RoY or not, Gary Sanchez made a lasting impressions - and I think David Price will likely confirmĀ ;) .....

Edited by soulpope

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Do understand the standard RoY requierements ... but the feats achieved by Sanchez happened during the last 1-2 months (of the regular season), where I tend to believe things are even more challenging - so this is a very special situation .... but RoY or not, Gary Sanchez made a lasting impressions - and I think David Price will likely confirmĀ ;) .....

Have to completely disagree on performance in the first few months being such a challenge. Its easier for hitters when the league isn't familiar with them. If I'm not mistaken Sanchez had come far closer to Earth in the past three weeks before hitting a few more home runs recently.

A couple of years ago the Red Sox had a rookie third baseman who looked like a 30 homer guy until everyone figured out he can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. I believe he's now floating between the San Diego AAA affiliate and the majors.

So let's see how Sanchez does when he stops getting fastballs in his wheelhouse, before we start comparing him to all-time greats like McCovey.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Have to completely disagree on performance in the first few months being such a challenge. Its easier for hitters when the league isn't familiar with them. If I'm not mistaken Sanchez had come far closer to Earth in the past three weeks before hitting a few more home runs recently.

A couple of years ago the Red Sox had a rookie third baseman who looked like a 30 homer guy until everyone figured out he can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. I believe he's now floating between the San Diego AAA affiliate and the majors.

So let's see how Sanchez does when he stops getting fastballs in his wheelhouse, before we start comparing him to all-time greats like McCovey.

Don`t want this becoming too obstrusive - just wondering than why not more rookies receiving pitches in their "wheelhouse" within a certain "unfamilar" period (for pitchers) don`t score similar results like Sanchez .... but again it is - this way or the other - a great story and having said that, I also did enjoy the 2016 run by Trevor Story for the Colorado Rockies .... I simply believe this game is in heavy need of new "faces" or potential signature players .... just my 5 cent worth ....

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

No one is saying he's a future McCovey, but the Rookie of the Year Award is for that year, not a prediction of a full career. No one knew that Willie McCovey would end up in the Hall of Fame when he finished his rookie season. And regardless of whether anyone likes it or doesn't like it, and regardless of what the future holds,Ā Gary Sanchez will receive votes for Rookie of the Year.

Edited by paul secor

9 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Dan,

The ex-Red Sox third baseman is Will Middlebrooks.Ā  He's currently in the Milwaukee Brewers system.

13 hours ago, paul secor said:

No one is saying he's a future McCovey, but the Rookie of the Year Award is for that year, not a prediction of a full career. No one knew that Willie McCovey would end up in the Hall of Fame when he finished his rookie season. And regardless of whether anyone likes it or doesn't like it, and regardless of what the future holds,Ā Gary Sanchez will receive votes for Rookie of the Year.

And he doesn`t seem to be a "one trick pony" neither ;) .... :

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v1194289783/statcast-sanchez-858-mph-throw-cuts-down-hanley

Well...it's go hard or go home time for the Giants.

However, after sweeping the Dodgers last weekend (I was there Saturday; great game), the inclusion of rookie Ty Blach [and his 8 inning gem] and Romo closing out the last two games with a nifty slider, anything can happen. If the Giants can get past the Mets tonight, all bets are off. This is one dangerous team in the playoffs.

GO Giants!

Edited by Tim McG

19 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Whoever wins the Tribe Vs Red Sox series goes to the World SeriesĀ 

I'm definitely pulling forĀ Cleveland the rest of the way.

Ā 

Ā 

13 hours ago, Tim McG said:

Gillaspie! Three run jack!

MadBum goes 9.

GIANTS WIN! GIANTS WIN! GIANTS WIN!

Bumgarner is a superstar. I think both pitchedĀ phenomenal but in the end the Mets bats really let Syndergaard down.Ā Ā Congrats to SF and to fans like Tim.

2 hours ago, catesta said:

Bumgarner is a superstar. I think both pitchedĀ phenomenal but in the end the Mets bats really let Syndergaard down.Ā Ā Congrats to SF and to fans like Tim.

Thanks, Catesta.

It was a real struggle and your guys showed me something last night, too. A tough team. They'll be back.