MLB 2016 Season Thread Of Discussions

JSngry

Buddy, Tommy, & Benny, they were bosses. You had a choice to leave or to stay. Bautista is an employee who brings his prissiness to the job as well as his skills, for better or for worse, and although his team seems to feel it's for the better a evidenced by their broadening use of the whinyass tactic, the man has obviously not endeared himself to a portion, perhaps a significant portion, of the baseball world. Event he people who are upset by the fight, how many of them are saying good things about Bautista? And how many are hedging their displeasure with some kind of "well, hey, Bautista, that slide, hey..."

So yeah, sure, you really have no choice but to put up with it, except in a perfect storm of fuquitousness like we had this past Sunday. Then, hey, here comes the fist pie, mmmmmm, YUMMY!

Although this is not the Kennedy assassination, Malcolm X's line about "chickens coming home to roost" scan be set to an appropriate scale and applied here. Or call it karma (which is why Odor needs to start looking at taking off JUST a little of that edge). Or call it good old fashioned Popeye vs Bluto. Whatever it was, it was. As an abstract occurrence, hey, no, don't do that. As a real-time/real-place/real-life event between those two people at that specific time, hey, play with fire, get burned. No way around that.

And - if this is the worst example of attitude bulliness being met by individual violence we have this year...take it.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Buddy, Tommy, & Benny were bosses -- that was my point. Who is Bautista the boss of? His prissiness has infected his whole team, like the Zika virus? OK, that's not good. But prissiness and being whiny-assed is not bullying; it's being a jerk.

Bluto could hurt you; Mel Torme could only hurt himself or maybe, after her death, Judy Garland; but even then he wasn't being a bully, just (so some would argue) a jerk. Actually, creepily self-serving as some of it is (but that was Mel), his book about working with Garland on her TV show was very interesting and also (according to my spider sense) pretty darn accurate. If I can judge by my own brief but somewhat hair-raising encounter with Liza Minnelli and her entourage -- which probably reproduced much of her mother's working environment in tone, detail, and in some cases actual personnel -- Mel's iron-clad narcissism, plus his not inconsiderable intelligence, may have been just what was required to survive in and then report accurately on a world in which everyone but the sick queen bee herself was dedicated to doing whatever it took to get the queen bee in shape to give the next performance.

Well, ok, you've equated Jose Bautista with Liza Minnelli.

I rest my case. :g

And furthermore, who could Bautista hurt? With a slide like that? Seriously?

Not the worst example of that type of thing, but enough to cross the line from, by your definition, jerk to bully, a line that is very easily crossed in general for too many.

In other words, people been wanting to do that to him for a long time, but, you know, jerk, gotta live with jerk. But first time that line gets crossed to bully, hey, locked, loaded, and ready to fire.

Here we go, Bautista's reaction to the whole thing:

"I was pretty surprised," Bautista said of the Odor punch, per

ESPN.com. "I mean, obviously, that's the only reason that he got me, and he got me pretty good, so I have to give him that. It takes a little bit bigger man to knock me down."

Bautista took first base after Rangers pitcher Matt Bush hit him, and Bautista admitted to reporters after the game he slid into second base hard on purpose to "send a message."

So, ok, he sent a message. He received a message in return, one which caught him by surprise, because, I guess, he thinks he's Joeybats Bautista and he's the baddest ass in town, who would dare challenge him? 

I think we're even now. I'm not gonna count Prince taking one in the leg afterwards, Prince was laughing about that. That was funnyball.

Prince Fielder laughs. Nobody's waiting for Prince Fielder to make one wrong move. Hell, Prince Fielder's a vegan. I'm sure there's somebody somewhere who would love to eat Joeybats Bautista, literally.

On a darker note, Timmy goes to the Angels. Now I can only sometimes pull for him. That's a drag.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15564685/tim-lincecum-agrees-deal-los-angeles-angels

18 hours ago, GA Russell said:

And apparently he found out about it by an ill-timed email confirming a flight reservation back to Atlanta when his team was on the road thru Thursday.

<quote>

An hour or so after the Braves’ 8-5 series-opening loss to the Pirates, a person familiar with the situation said Gonzalez received an email notifying him of his scheduled flight to Atlanta on Tuesday afternoon.

That was a bad sign, since the four-game series in Pittsburgh runs through Thursday.

</quote>

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/baseball/gonzalez-firing-took-an-awkward-turn-late-monday/nrPMM/?icmp=ajc_internallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

:g

How about Big Papi, on a pace for over 40 homers and 130 RBIs in his final season. He could obliterate the record for homers in a season past the age of 40. I was watching yesterday when he came up needing a triple for the cycle and hit it out to the triangle, a triple almost certainly and it went into the bullpen on a bad deflection off the wall.  :angry::excited:

What I didn't hear anyone mention is if anyone in MLB history has hit for the cycle past the age of 40. Anyone know?

I just scored tickets to the last Saturday night game in Tampa in September.  Just to the right of the Red Sox dugout and slightly back. Didn't tell Sue where or what I spent but its going to be fun to lead her to the seats and keep walking closer and closer to the field.

http://www.lonestarball.com/2016/6/16/11957882/42-25-colby-lewis-is-still-perfect-to-me-rangers-win

usa-today-9344177.0.jpg

Player of the Game: Colby Lewis was drafted by the Rangers in 1999. Colby Lewis made his MLB debut on April Fools' day in 2002. Colby Lewis won his first game as a big leaguer with the Rangers on July 4, 2002.

Colby Lewis had Tommy John surgery as a high schooler in 1997. Colby Lewis had rotator cuff surgery in 2004. Colby Lewis had elbow surgery in 2012. Colby Lewis went through experimental hip resurfacing surgery in 2013.

Colby Lewis pitched in Japan before returning to the Rangers in 2010. Colby Lewis won the game that clinched the Rangers' first World Series appearance. Colby Lewis was the winning pitcher of the first game the Rangers ever won in the World Series. Colby Lewis started Game 6.

For the second consecutive year, Colby Lewis took a perfect game into the 8th against the A's. Colby Lewis has signed a one-year contract with the Rangers for three straight seasons. Colby Lewis is 6-0. Colby Lewis is the Texas Rangers.

• 2 weeks later...