Duke Ellington - Afro Bossa

Teasing the Korean

What do you guys think of this album?  Considering the fact that "Caravan" is proto-exotica, it is interesting that it took Duke until 1963 to release a full exotica album, after the fad had died down somewhat.  And even though he would do "exotic" things throughout his career, he never did another album that was as full-on exotica as Afro Bossa. 

The percussion adds nice color.  It is clear that Duke is in places channeling Les Baxter (who loved Duke), especially in some of the chord progressions, ornamentation, and the prepared piano sound that was used quite a bit on Ritual of the Savage

I wondered if it was a producer's idea for Duke to do this record, and I wonder if he listened to any Les Baxter, particularly Jungle Jazz and African Jazz

Edited by Teasing the Korean

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I wondered if it was a producer's idea for Duke to do this record,

from the liners (stanley dance)

"afro-bossa is the first album produced by the ellington jazz wing of reprise. it's also an album for which duke ellington is more directly responsible than any other made in his long career."

Found it sealed in a mom-and-pop back in the late 1970s. It became an immediate favorite and has remained one. But i first hear "Bula" on that Great PAris Concert thing, and that was a lot more "visceral".

However, the charms of "Silk Lace"...I've been casually married to that one in a Miles/Al Green "if..." type of way from the first time I heard it.

Let's not sleep on Afro-Eurasian Eclipse...exactly who is enjoying the shadow of whoooom?

21-2183-Z3PCD00Z.jpg

Here is a Les Baxter original from Jungle Jazz called "Coco" that shows a Duke Ellington influence.  You can imagine this track on Afro Bossa

And this Afro Bossa track has something of a Les Baxter sound:

Here is Duke using the prepared piano sound (kicking in around one minute) that Les Baxter used on Le Sacre du Sauvage and a few tracks from Tamboo!

And here is Les using the prepared piano sound.  It kicks in around 1:30

• 4 years later...

I am now listening to this album on the stereo, while blasting jungle sound effects from the tiki room. THEY VASTLY IMPROVE AN ALREADY EXCELLENT ALBUM. I am also enjoying a 1944 Trader Vic's maitai. 

The only thing wrong with this album is "Purple Gazelle" should have been the closer. 

On 26.2.2016 at 8:17 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Here is a Les Baxter original from Jungle Jazz called "Coco" that shows a Duke Ellington influence.  You can imagine this track on Afro Bossa

Has Jungle Jazz ever been reissued on CD? I'd like to have that one.

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2020 at 4:52 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

The only thing wrong with this album is "Purple Gazelle" should have been the closer. 

This tune used to come up on gigs and was sometimes confusing as some called it Purple Gazelle and others called it Stevie-as they knew it from the Duke/Coltrane record.

25 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

This tune used to come up on gigs and was sometimes confusing as some called it Purple Gazelle and others called it Stevie-as they knew it from the Duke/Coltrane record.

Maybe they needed to fill space so they resurrected it here?  Nothing wrong with the tune, but it doesn't quite fit the rest of the album.  Ending the album with "Purple Gazelle" would have paralleled Thee Great Les Baxter closing African Jazz with "Balinese Bongos."

On 2/26/2016 at 10:33 AM, Guy Berger said:

Afro Bossa is a great album.  Afro Eurasian Eclipse has higher highs and lower lows.

On Monday "Press Play" on KCRW started a week of listeners picking their favorite tracks and though most of it was recent pop/rock/dance etc the host began by playing her favorite: Chinoiserie from Eclipse.   She included part of Ellington's  spoken intro and the guest djs on the  show were blown away by it.    (One of them exclaimed something like "How did you find that!")

39 minutes ago, medjuck said:

...She included part of Ellington's  spoken intro and the guest djs on the  show were blown away by it.    (One of them exclaimed something like "How did you find that!")

Uh, maybe by not letting the MegaEvil SoulSuck Of PopCulture into your brainblood and instead just simply being curious, paying attention, and searching the universe for lifes other than your own Narcissistic Mirror Self?

That seems to work in damn near everybody, at least that I've known.