Frank Zappa

7/4

Frank Zappa did release the Piquantique CD and, according to its notes, the recording has at least part of the 21 August 1973 Stockholm concert (including at least part of “Dupree’s Paradise”).  Zappa experts can probably provide more details about Piquantique.  The CD was part of Zappa's “Beat the Boots” effort:

"Beat the Boots is a collection of bootleg recordings of performances by Frank Zappa which were originally distributed illegally but were released officially by Rhino Entertainment in 1991 as part of Zappa's campaign to dissuade his fans from buying illegal recordings of his concerts. The recordings were available as individual CDs and as an CDs, LPs or cassette box set."

Some details are here:

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Zappa-Mothers-Piquantique-Stockholm-1973/release/1180047

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame this band imploded before the scheduled end of the tour. Zappa's guitar playing was getting better and better (it was sort of hesitant at the beginning of the tour but his last '88 concert in Genoa had him playing beautifully - see "Outside Now" from "Broadway the Hard Way" or "After Dinner Smoker" from "Trance-Fusion") and the band was getting increasingly loose with improvisations. But well, as the man said, touring can make you crazy.       

I saw Zappa 3 or 4 times in concert between 1974 and 1984, I would have attended the 1988 Atlanta concert if the band hadn't self-destructed in Europe. I can't think of any rock musician who got so much out of his instrumentalists and the ability to switch gears mid-concert into different arrangements on the fly was unusual. 

Zappa had little patience with interviewers who didn't do their homework or asked stupid questions. He got a kick out of my recognizing his quote of "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum" in his song "Rhymin' Man" ("Nobody knows that song!") and that I told him it was a parody of the hymn "Revive Us Again." But our station soundboard did not have sufficient volume for a phone interview in 1989, so I caught hell about that issue, even though I had no control over it, being a mere volunteer program producer at the time. Frankly, I had more problems dealing with Herb Ellis and Ruby Braff being a bit too full of themselves compared to Zappa, I erased the Ellis interview without bothering to hear it.

7 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Zappa had little patience with interviewers who didn't do their homework or asked stupid questions. He got a kick out of my recognizing his quote of "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum" in his song "Rhymin' Man" ("Nobody knows that song!") and that I told him it was a parody of the hymn "Revive Us Again." But our station soundboard did not have sufficient volume for a phone interview in 1989, so I caught hell about that issue, even though I had no control over it, being a mere volunteer program producer at the time. Frankly, I had more problems dealing with Herb Ellis and Ruby Braff being a bit too full of themselves compared to Zappa, I erased the Ellis interview without bothering to hear it.

Herb Ellis could be a real dick. He called the luthier that made both of my guitars, and told him he'd play one of his guitars, if he gave him it for free. The luthier told him to go screw himself.

44 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Herb Ellis could be a real dick. He called the luthier that made both of my guitars, and told him he'd play one of his guitars, if he gave him it for free. The luthier told him to go screw himself.

have you heard the story aobut how sanana hooked up with paul reed smith- very similar-- PRS was desparete to get a guitar santana to try and carlos was like no way 1,000 times then finally he was like all fine, ill try your guitar, and he tried it in concert for 10 seconds and took it off and PRS was like let me tweak the pickups and it will be perfect and hes all no. and PRS begged him and santana was like- fine.  then santana loved the guitar and told PRS i'm keeping it but not paying you and PRS didnt tell him this but it was actually Howard Leese's guitar so PRS had to beg carlos to get it back with promise of a new even better one, then he recorded the entire Zeebop album on it

18 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

have you heard the story aobut how sanana hooked up with paul reed smith- very similar-- PRS was desparete to get a guitar santana to try and carlos was like no way 1,000 times then finally he was like all fine, ill try your guitar, and he tried it in concert for 10 seconds and took it off and PRS was like let me tweak the pickups and it will be perfect and hes all no. and PRS begged him and santana was like- fine.  then santana loved the guitar and told PRS i'm keeping it but not paying you and PRS didnt tell him this but it was actually Howard Leese's guitar so PRS had to beg carlos to get it back with promise of a new even better one, then he recorded the entire Zeebop album on it

It's funny everyone was raving about PRS guitars years ago, and a student of mine ran out and bought the Santana model. It was a POS.

Then I tried other PRS models and they were fine. Maybe the Santana model had the old pickup in it.

• 5 months later...

Release date November 19:

81Lw46ClzSL._SL1200_.jpg

Frank Zappa's "200 Motels" turns 50! This 6 CD box set contains the original soundtrack newly remastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering with a massive amount of original demos, studio outtakes, work mixes, interviews, and movie ads, plus newly discovered dialog reels revealing an early audio edit of the film. It also contains a replica movie poster, custom motel keychain, Do-Not-Disturb motel door hanger, and new liner notes from Pamela Des Barres, Ruth Underwood, and "Vaultmeister" Joe Travers.

Yeah...loved the movie, tolerated the album, and have moved on about most all of what it's about (except the pure orchestra stuff, that still works for me).

Waiting to see what they do with the Grand Wazzoo/WakaJawaks material when it reaches the appropriate age. Wondering what might be lurking in there...

But "Penis Dimension" and "Half A dozen Provocative Squats", stuff like that is, uh...no more of that, Once was enough.