Frank Zappa

7/4

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bertrand said:

I am still trying to understand this concept of use of name. Frank Zappa was a composer, he would be the first to tell you that. So a concert stating that the works of Frank Zappa, composer will be performed should be fine as long as ASCAP/BMI fees are paid. What am I missing? If the family will keep thinking of him as a 'brand' rather than a composer, then he can never be included in the pantheon of composers, something we know he wished for.

Now there was that Puccini estate vs. Bob Belden - was the issue there that they did not like the arrangements? What legal ground did they have to justify the album being pulled?

I believe (and I could certainly be wrong) that if you want to advertise a concert of Richard Rogers music you need his estate's permission.   Even if your name is Fred Rogers. 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I believe (and I could certainly be wrong) that if you want to advertise a concert of Richard Rogers music you need his estate's permission.   Even if your name is Fred Rogers. 

Richard Rogers?  Wasn't he part of the songwriting team Rogers & Heart? :lol:

8 hours ago, bertrand said:

I am still trying to understand this concept of use of name. Frank Zappa was a composer, he would be the first to tell you that. So a concert stating that the works of Frank Zappa, composer will be performed should be fine as long as ASCAP/BMI fees are paid. What am I missing? If the family will keep thinking of him as a 'brand' rather than a composer, then he can never be included in the pantheon of composers, something we know he wished for.

Now there was that Puccini estate vs. Bob Belden - was the issue there that they did not like the arrangements? What legal ground did they have to justify the album being pulled?

Or especially if it's Roy Rogers. 

4 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I think you may be confusing Rodgers and Hart with (Roy) Rogers and (William S.) Hart.  No problems, as them guys was Straight Shooters!

Well I expect it's  equally true for Roy Rogers.  Maybe that's why we see so few Sons of The Pioneers cover bands. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, fasstrack said:

I heard there's a possibly better one coming out shortly...

I know there's one that's being crowd-funded, but I think it's more of a traditional doc about FZ. What's great about Eat That Question is that it's almost exclusively excerpts of interviews he did over his lifetime.

UMRK was Zappa's name for his studio. It almost breaks my heart to see that this unique assemblage will be taken apart; it certainly would have broken the heart of my best friend who died last summer ..... he had an almost complete Zappa CD collection, which was probably dumped for the most part when his flat had to be cleared. :(

19 hours ago, mikeweil said:

UMRK was Zappa's name for his studio. It almost breaks my heart to see that this unique assemblage will be taken apart; it certainly would have broken the heart of my best friend who died last summer ..... he had an almost complete Zappa CD collection, which was probably dumped for the most part when his flat had to be cleared. :(

There's always the chance someone will buy the place and keep everything intact. I always thought the kids would do something with it, but they can't seem to get along with each other these days. It would be sad to see it destroyed, but we got a lot of outstanding music from it.

• 4 weeks later...