Count Basie -- "Complete Live At The Crescendo 1958"

duaneiac

• 4 weeks later...
On 6.7.2016 at 1:16 AM, medjuck said:

I notice that a couple of reviews on Amazon mention that discs 4 & 5 contain material from earlier performances and are not from  The Crescendo.  I can't tell when they're from but they certainly seem to be from a larger venue. (I'm not referring here to the tv show that is also included.  Speaking of which I've been told that that Bobby Troupe tv show once featured Chet Baker playing Bix but that show is no longer extant.  Arghhh.) 

Disc 4 tracks 10-14 are from Paris, '57. 15-17 are from Stockholm, '54 (Gus Johnson on drums, style clearly different from Sonny Payne).
Disc 5 tracks 2-5 are from the same Stockholm '54 gig.

The other ones that don't sound like from the Crescendo (comparatively small audience, typical Wally Heider audio sound) are likely from other European gigs of the 1958 or 1959 band.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The music - and its sound - are splendid. At that prize it's a  no-brainer. 

Favorite track (and there are plenty of them) is the rarely played Neal Hefti's 'Pensive Miss' that gets a  five-star treatment from Snooky Young on disc 2.

I strongly suspect the set comes from the busy Spain/Andorra contingent. But this is not meant as a criticism!

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting in on this one, really enjoying the presence of the recording ...on Disc One, "Indian Summer" is certainly Wild Bill Davis' arrangement, as most of it later turns up played by Ellington as "Remmus Naidni" here (and also contains perhaps my singlemost favorite Paul Gonsalves sol).

2hS9V.jpg

Some of this stuff doesn't really make "sense" if there's not a dance floor with people on it. Some of the little jiggle-jaggles, just sounds like interactivity with the floor.

Also interesting are the conversations the mike picks up, either from the band, the audience, maybe both. Can't say that there's anything as graphic as the Coleman Hawkins thing where he discusses the route he took to get to the gig, but some choice exclamations aplenty on this one!

• 1 year later...