Count Basie -- "Complete Live At The Crescendo 1958"

duaneiac

A 5 CD boxed set of live Count Basie coming out now --

147920.jpg

147920_1.jpg

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/71694/count-basie/complete-live-at-the-crescendo-1958

So the description says this is "long unavailable material", not "previously unissued", so I am assuming that some or all of this music has been available somewhere before.  Has any one here heard it and if so, what's your take on it?  I certainly love Basie from this period, but this is a LOT of music with several numbers repeated night after night.  Could this be too much of a good thing?

Thanks for that info, John L.  I saw those Count on The Coast CDs in Tower stores back when they were still new/in print, but never bought any of them because I was unsure what the audio quality would be like.  (I'd been bummed out a few times by the lo-fi quality of a few vintage "live" recordings I bought back in those pre-internet days.)  So I guess I don't have this material.  I do have the Mosaic set of Count Basie's "live" Roulette material, but that covers 1959-62, just right after these recordings.  I guess I have to decide how much "live" Basie from that era I really need . . .

31 minutes ago, alankin said:

EU-only five CD set

This is grey-market at its most useful, if somewhat archaic.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check out My Baby Upsets Me on Disc 3.  Nothing complicated here, just the Basie band at its most soulful backing Joe Williams in his element.  The audience falls out.  I did too.   This is why we miss big bands.  Only they could do that simple special thing that the Basie band does here and on many other tracks from this box. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I notice that a couple of reviews on Amazon mention that discs 4 & 5 contain material from earlier performances and are not from  The Crescendo.  I can't tell when they're from but they certainly seem to be from a larger venue. (I'm not referring here to the tv show that is also included.  Speaking of which I've been told that that Bobby Troupe tv show once featured Chet Baker playing Bix but that show is no longer extant.  Arghhh.) 

6 hours ago, medjuck said:

I notice that a couple of reviews on Amazon mention that discs 4 & 5 contain material from earlier performances and are not from  The Crescendo.  I can't tell when they're from but they certainly seem to be from a larger venue. 

Which would mean that there is even less Crescendo material that goes BEYOND the contents of the three "Count On The Coast" LPs on Phontastic. Pity ...

• 5 weeks later...