Beverly Kenney

felser

Just discovering her right now courtesy of a set on one of the unmentionable PD labels.  She had a stunning voice and impeccable phrasing, was quite beautiful, yet seems mostly forgotten (it took me 43 years to hear of her), had major issues and a tragic existence, and was dead by suicide at 28,  Fascinating article on her here:

https://lonesomebeehive.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/rock-n-roll-suicide-beverly-kenney-1932-1960/

Any other love for her on the board?

• 5 years later...

My wife and I have heard that Lincoln Car commercial on TV quite a few times. Could not identify the female vocalist that sounded very good. Googled it last evening and discovered it was Beverly Kenny.

I had one of her LPs long ago, but never cared much for it and disposed of it decades ago. After hearing her on the commercial, am now interested to hear her again.

Years ago I heard about her from some jazz vocal fans who were high on her, but I didn't catch on at the time. I couple of years ago I managed to get a multi-CD set on the Real Gone Jazz label (a "grey label" release, no doubt, but decent quality) that contains all six of her LP's. I have to say I find her quite intriguing. Haven't seen the Lincoln commercial, but will watch for it.