John Coltrane: The Atlantic Years in Mono

jazzbo

Will these be real mono grooves, requiring a mono stylus? If so, I'd be heavily tempted.

But: Why didn't they include Coltrane Jazz and Coltrane's Sound, not to mention the My Favourite Things LP? No original mono mixes available?

So no Equinox included in this box. I guess I need a single CD reissue as I, too, miss those few bars.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 0:33 PM, mikeweil said:

Will these be real mono grooves, requiring a mono stylus? If so, I'd be heavily tempted.

But: Why didn't they include Coltrane Jazz and Coltrane's Sound, not to mention the My Favourite Things LP? No original mono mixes available?

So no Equinox included in this box. I guess I need a single CD reissue as I, too, miss those few bars.

According to the Rhino website:

A quick caveat, however: you will not find My Favorite Things, Coltrane Jazz, or Coltrane's Sound contained within this set, but it’s through no fault of ours: the mono masters were lost in a fire, so their inclusion simply wasn’t possible, sadly.

http://www.rhino.com/article/out-now-john-coltrane-the-atlantic-years-in-mono

• 4 weeks later...

All correct. Thanks for your empathy.

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Nicely-produced, nicely-mastered and nicely-priced CD edition arrived today. Listening to Giant Steps now. Very satisfying listening at that. I'm going to enjoy this set.

I believe you, but some of my favourite Atlantic Coltrane is missing. With the extreme stereo spread of Atlantic recordings of the time, these must sound terrific.

But, considering the short playing time of all albums, they could have reduced it to three CDs and made it a real bargain.

Edited by mikeweil

I only paid 39 dollars, total, for this set, and I think it's well-priced and the sound is excellent. I have one of the missing on mono vinyl, and one of the missing on mono CD, and it's enough for now. Worth it for me to explore the sound, and I'm still collecting, I'm still in the mode. Shouldn't be, but I am. I totally understand someone not buying this and for good reasons, but I'm happy to have it and am enjoying exploring it.

I'm confused: the quote from the Rhino site where they state they couldn't include some albums because the mono tapes were lost in a fire implies they used the original mono tapes; Kevin's post seems to imply the mono masters were made from the 8-track masters. Didn't they record direct to a mono mix back then? And did they use these masters for the reissue or mix new mono masters (the latter was the reason I never considered the Miles Columbia mono reissue).

The Columbia Miles only really remixed one new mono reissue, the others were original mono mixes.

I think Kevin is saying that the original mono mixes were created from the eight track recordings as were the original stereo mixes.

From this page:

http://www.atlanticrecords.com/posts/father-atlantic-sound-18236

Tom Dowd’s efforts to eliminate the technical woes of the recording process helped expose music recording as a new artform. He pioneered the use of a series of new technologies in the recording studio and helped standardize a number of revolutionary recording practices that are still employed today. For instance, at Dowd’s insistence, Atlantic Records was the first label to issue “true” stereo recordings and to use 8-track recording in its studios.

The first Ampex 8 track recording machine was sold to Les Paul in 1957. And from this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_multitrack_recording#Ampex.27s_original_8-track_recorder

The second Ampex model 5258 8-track 3 was sold to Atlantic Records at Tom Dowd's insistence in early 1958.[6] Atlantic was the first record company to use a multi-track recorder in their studio.