New unreleased Bill Evans studio album

Jim Alfredson

Resonance Records strikes again.

http://www.sunnykilogram.com/projects/dd/bill-evans/email.html

album-cover.jpg

" DELUXE 2-CD SET AND DIGITAL EDITION AVAILABLE APRIL 22, 2016

SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION HAND-NUMBERED 2-LP SET MASTERED BY BERNIE GRUNDMAN AND PRESSED ON 180-GRAM VINYL BY RECORD TECHNOLOGY, INC. AVAILABLE SATURDAY APRIL 16, 2016 FOR RECORD STORE DAY

NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED 1968 STUDIO ALBUM BY LEGENDARY PIANIST BILL EVANS IN TRIO, DUO AND SOLO SETTINGS WITH JAZZ GREATS EDDIE GOMEZ AND JACK DEJOHNETTE

RECORDED BY HANS GEORG BRUNNER-SCHWER AND JOACHIM-ERNST BERENDT AT MPS STUDIOS, VILLINGEN, GERMANY IN THE BLACK FOREST

Unique studio recording made on June 20, 1968, five days after the Bill Evans Trio’s triumphant performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival

Only the second album — and the only studio album — to feature the Bill Evans Trio with brilliant drummer, Jack DeJohnette, and great bassist and Evans Trio veteran, Eddie Gomez
 ."

Because Jack however briefly played with Bill, it's always fascinating to me how much the Evans connection comes out in the Jarrett trio stuff (though their own language in that dialect obviously). What's more interesting is the shared love KJ/Peacock/DeJohnette had for Ahmad Jamal.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Although...One listen to the sample posted on the Resonance site was not exciting the possibilities. But that was just one listen.

Technically, though, this seems to have been recorded on the MPS axis...how did they work it out with Verve for Symbiosis?

On 3/20/2016 at 10:26 PM, JSngry said:

Although...One listen to the sample posted on the Resonance site was not exciting the possibilities. But that was just one listen.

Technically, though, this seems to have been recorded on the MPS axis...how did they work it out with Verve for Symbiosis?

Where's the sample? Couldn't find it on the site.  

Never mind. Got it. 

Sounds well recorded which you would expect in the Black Forest . Good Evans for sure, if not spectacular, but again it's just one track and one listen.  

Edited by John Tapscott

I've been lucky enough to hear this, and IMHO it's really wonderful. Jack's brushwork on a couple of the tunes is off the chart. Really interesting tune selection too - there's a bunch of tunes on there you don't really hear them play too often (if at all). Re the MPS issue - I forget, although the (excellent) liner notes do make it clear how the session came about (and, by the same token, how it came not to be issued at the time).

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Unlike you, I have enough - my "extra mile" with Bill was "The Last Waltz".

It was mine, too -- until I succumbed to "Affinity" with Toots Thielmans, which is surprisingly good; Toots kicks/pushes/nudges him into some different, novel places.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

It was mine, too -- until I succumbed to "Affinity" with Toots Thielmans, which is surprisingly good; Toots kicks/pushes/nudges him into some different, novel places.

I always liked that one too, and not just for Toots. Larry Schneider hits some interesting between-the-cracks-of-Trane thing, if/when one has the patience for waiting for such things.

What I said back in January about "Affinity" FWIW:

As a longtime mixed-feelings-toward-Evans listener, this one from 1978 strikes me as quite fine. There's something about Toots' affinity (right) for long-lined, almost moaned out, melodic statements/declarations that frees up Evans to stand over to one side and respond with a great deal of decorative fanciful inventiveness that is close to florid at times -- this burst of floridity seemingly a form of emotional release for Evans. Similarly his comping is strikingly aggressive/interactive behind Schneider. Evans' biographer Peter Pettinger refers to "the recapturing of a sense of the unexpected in his timing, but with a new precision and confident edge, left-hand displacements being placed against the beat with an outright intent that shocks us into acceptance...." Don't know about "shocks us," but, yeah. Also, engineer Frank Laico (once with Columbia, here with Warners) did a lovely job of capturing Evans' sound; the piano's extreme upper register, where he spends a good deal of time, just rings and glitters.

• 2 weeks later...

Down Beat Magazine's article on this.

Bill Evans Studio Album Unearthed
Posted 4/8/2016

The term “lost session” has been overused, but it is certainly appropriate for the new release by iconic pianist Bill Evans (1929–’80). Resonance Records will issue LP, CD and digital editions of Some Other Time: The Lost Session From the Black Forest, a previously unreleased studio album that was recorded on June 20, 1968.

Joining Evans for this trio date were bassist Eddie Gomez and drummer Jack DeJohnette, both of whom were interviewed for the liner notes booklet that accompanies the album.

Resonance will issue a limited edition, hand-numbered, two-LP version, mastered by Bernie Grundman and pressed on 180-gram vinyl, for Record Store Day (April 16). This LP will be sold at select independent record stores participating in the event.

Some Other Time, which includes more than 90 minutes of music, also will be available as a two-CD or digital version on April 22. Tracks include standards such as “My Funny Valentine,” “These Foolish Things,” “What Kind Of Fool Am I?” and “On Green Dolphin Street.”

http://downbeat.com/default.asp?sect=news&subsect=news_detail&nid=3116

I will be reviewing this and received my copy a few weeks back, really wonderful music. Jack's brushwork is superb in many places, just check out "You Go To My Head", totally blows the assertion that some people I know have had that DeJohnette  overplays, there's a difference between busyness and over playing and there is none of that here, just beautiful sensitivity.

• 1 month later...

I have been a Bill Evans fan a long time as well so I have a lot of his music and I'm always a bit cynical when it cmes to unearthed music.  This was different as I already had the Oscar Peterson albums on MPS so I knew they would sound good unless something horrible had happened to the tapes.  I wasn't disappointed.  While it might not be in my top five B.E. albums, I still find it to be good and with very good sound.  A chance to hear Jack with Evans again and in a different environment is a welcome treat imo.  Besides, it's been a while since those live box sets from 1980 were released so we haven't been inundated with Bill Evans recordings in recent years.  I was lucky enough to get a vinyl copy on RSD, the only reason I went down to the store.