Elvin Jones on Douglas (unissued)

clifford_thornton

Having trouble finding the details online, but I recall reading about an Elvin Jones record for Douglas that went unissued and may have included "free" players like Byard Lancaster, Dave Burrell and Sonny Sharrock. My memory is foggy but I believe I read about this session in a discography (Lord?) and now can't seem to trace it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

here's a notice from the 7 June 1969 Billboard "Douglas Repackaging Jazz Albums for Spanish Market" where it says: "Douglas' initial tie with Gema [the Spanish label] covers about 12 albums including "new jazz" product by artists such as Eric Dolphy, Dave Burrell, Elvin Jones, Paul Bley and Ric Colbeck, [...]". Is there anything else by Jones that could have been meant here?

Edited by Niko

Yeah, I saw that reference. I remember reading about it and being taken by the personnel being exactly the people that it was claimed Jones detested when Coltrane was bringing them into the band. But for the life of me I can't find the personnel list itself.

The Colbeck may have been the Pixie session, which was being shopped around after that label folded.

On 3/21/2016 at 11:33 PM, JSngry said:

With that personnel,  it almost kinda looks like a very late 60s BN date, one of those wide - open things that Duke Pearson produced.

Been a while since ive been here.But to my knowledge.Ive never heard anything about this date and session.And never ever heard about uncle Duke producing this date at all.He and Elvin did fo a few things.But this does not ring a bell.I could be wrong though.Because he wore many hats.And was involved in many things.Some even i dont know about.Shoutout to you JSngry.

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2016 at 6:39 AM, Niko said:

here's a notice from the 7 June 1969 Billboard "Douglas Repackaging Jazz Albums for Spanish Market" where it says: "Douglas' initial tie with Gema [the Spanish label] covers about 12 albums including "new jazz" product by artists such as Eric Dolphy, Dave Burrell, Elvin Jones, Paul Bley and Ric Colbeck, [...]". Is there anything else by Jones that could have been meant here?

It was a Douglas session that was only assembled and rehearsed: Colbeck, Lancaster, Sharrock, Burrell, Sirone and Elvin Jones. No recording known.

Case closed I guess.