O’Donel „Butch“ Levy

HolgerFreimutSchrick

I heard stories that he was living in Singapore or Thailand for a considerable amount of time and ran a club. I heard this from some Australian musicians that used to visit the country. But I believe I read online somewhere that he returned to the States and suffered a stroke a few years ago. He was a great guitarist who had no limitations. He reminded me of Melvin Sparkes. 

here is a quote I lifted from another site....this backs up what I was sayin, and is a hell of a nice and funny reminiscence too....I'm sure the original poster won't mind it being pasted here...rip...

]Geday, Hi, I drummed with O'Donel Levy for 5 years, John McLaughlin came to watch him!! Dennis Chambers sat in on MY DRUMS!! The whole Winton Marsalis Band sat there open jawed!! Also he --ODEE (Irish Jewish and Black was his own running joke) was also as funny as Richard Pryor AND HE OFTEN BOUGHT THE DINNERS AND A FEW ROUNDS
Other jazz guitarists came from all over the world to watch him and wept into their beers. He also fixed up my drummin--no fills please!! No fills at all!! till i'm finished --some nights he took 47 choruses and was NEVER boring
Jah Bless you ODEE get well soon and sock it to em all over again!! ------signed---Australian Irish Drummer Des Mckenna, Hong Kong, Shianghai, Belgium, Ireland ex Rory Gallagher, Ex Chet Baker, ex Nat Adderley and I jammed with DIZ