Music you'd like to listen to right now, but can't - because you sold it or gave it away

mikeweil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this

was once stolen. this morning i thought it would be nice to listening to so i checked the net; its available again!

and some cuts on the tube which i am listening to right now

and of course i too like that chuck keeps rolling.

Edited by uli

On 28.3.2016 at 2:22 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Thank you, Mike. I NEVER look at Kenny Dorham albums, so I didn't know that this was that and that was this; I just thought it was the other!

MG

must be coz you know em all by heart, any other explanation would simply be wrong ;)

Myself, I'm good at not passing on music (too good, some think :lol:)

I sold my entire jazz collection during the great recession.  It hurt for awhile, but honestly I've barely thought about it for the past few years.  I still have some core items in my digital collection and what I don't have can easily be found on Spotify or Youtube to satisfy cravings. 

I doubt I will ever bother building up a physical collection (of anything) again. 

Edited by Shawn

• 5 years later...

R-8184083-1456699243-4608.jpeg.jpg

That's the CD reissue I have, but I bought a copy of the LP in excellent condition in the 1970's from a cutout bin. It sounded incredibly good. I should have kept it for the sound, excellent natural room ambience. I sold it when I had grown tired of listening to folk music and needed shelf space. 

On 3/25/2016 at 6:46 AM, mikeweil said:

After listening to Rickie Lee Jones' Pop Pop CD this morning I would have liked to put on Sheila Jordan's Blue Note album, but: I sold it, many years ago. Her voice never thrilled me, but the music is good, for sure.

61heWRUfTWL._SL1427_.jpg

Any similar cases in point may be posted here - I rarely regret sales, but I'm afraid I must re-buy this one.

I would have sold, traded or given away Rickie Lee Jones’ Pop Pop instead. Her voice is grating, while Sheila is always lots of fun.

2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

So can you play LPs? Or how do you listen these days?

During the day on my iPhone. Everywhere!

And in the evenings on my laptop: YouTube brings me fantastic stuff a few hours old from Smalls and Emmet's Place :excited:

2 hours ago, Niko said:

if it's an old laptop then yes.... if it's two, three years old probably not...

One-year-old MacBook, so without disc drive (or USB port).

At least my iPhone isn't so modern that I can't attach my nice Sennheiser in-ear headphones. ^_^

20 minutes ago, BillF said:

One-year-old MacBook, so without disc drive (or USB port).

No disc drive and USB port ... so nothing exists outside of the cloud? No one has any discs for loading programs anymore? This is mind-boggling. I have a Windows 7 machine and a Windows 10 machine, both with disc drives and multiple USB ports, and one has excellent speakers which is how I listen when not in the car, and a 2014 Kia with a CD player (and a USB port which I do use on occasion). I can't imagine functioning without these.

This conversation makes me feel very old.  Bought a 2017 rather than 2018 Honda Accord to have a CD player in it, have four boomboxes as well as a component CD player (and a turntable) in the house, two of our four PC's (I even still have a desktop PC, though it will be my last one) have built in CD/DVD drives, and we have external CD/DVD drive for the other two.  So I guess I'm redundant and obsolete at the same time, good trick.

42 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

No disc drive and USB port ... so nothing exists outside of the cloud? No one has any discs for loading programs anymore? This is mind-boggling. I have a Windows 7 machine and a Windows 10 machine, both with disc drives and multiple USB ports, and one has excellent speakers which is how I listen when not in the car, and a 2014 Kia with a CD player (and a USB port which I do use on occasion). I can't imagine functioning without these.

The new iMac I just purchased has no built-in CD drive but this issue was easily solved by adding an external CD drive (currently listening to Earl Hines).

Edited by kh1958

29 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

So have you sold your LPs and CDs? Good feng shui...

Yes, a collection of just under1,000 items amassed over 50 years sold for a total of £1,200 to members of this board.