Music you'd like to listen to right now, but can't - because you sold it or gave it away

mikeweil

After listening to Rickie Lee Jones' Pop Pop CD this morning I would have liked to put on Sheila Jordan's Blue Note album, but: I sold it, many years ago. Her voice never thrilled me, but the music is good, for sure.

61heWRUfTWL._SL1427_.jpg

Any similar cases in point may be posted here - I rarely regret sales, but I'm afraid I must re-buy this one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 big ones off the top of my head this morning:

Peter Brotzmann Die Like a Dog Quartet: Little Birds Have Fast Hearts, volume 1

Anthony Braxton Quartet: Dortmund 1976

John Law Quartet: Exploded on Impact

many more lost or especially sold back in 2003-4

will get them all back one day - takes time as I am continually listening to new music to these ears

On 3/25/2016 at 6:46 AM, mikeweil said:

After listening to Rickie Lee Jones' Pop Pop CD this morning I would have liked to put on Sheila Jordan's Blue Note album, but: I sold it, many years ago. Her voice never thrilled me, but the music is good, for sure.

Any similar cases in point may be posted here - I rarely regret sales, but I'm afraid I must re-buy this one.

You're in luck.

I sold the Basie live Roulette box a while ago when I needed some cash flow.  I'd sure like to have that one back.

That's a great box set that Basie. All the previously released material (not the extra stuff only in the Mosaic) has come out on EXCELLENT imo sounding discs from Japan this last year. . . as well as the studio band and vocalist stuff. (And two records were not in the Basie boxes or on cd before). I shouldn't have but I bought these on the recommendation of 262Rob and glad I did.

I've sold material on LP and SACD that I wish I had now that I am back to playing LPs and often preferring these to cds, and that I now have better SACD playback than ever. Oh well. Time to buy some things again. . . not the first time that's happened!

I also regret selling some mono pressings, most of all The Modern Jazz Quartet's The Comedy - but that was before I got a mono cartridge for the spare headshell of my Thorens turntable which makes mono pressings sound terrific - the bass drum on that LP had more punch, the whole LP more dynamics than the nonetheless excellent digital remastering on the Mosaic box. The Grado cartridge reduces surface noise to a minimum.

Edited by mikeweil

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:52 AM, paul secor said:

I can't think of any music I sold or gave away that I'd like to hear now. Once something is gone, it's gone. No regrets.

I used to think that, but I've rediscovered so much stuff I got rid of decades ago; most recently Solomon Burke's LP 'if you need me'. NOW I think he was a much better album artist than I thought he was back in the sixties.

I sometimes get a yen to hear Archie Shepp's 'Fire music' again, but it's not (yet) serious.

At present, 'Two's company' by Chris Connor and Maynard Ferguson is top of my pondering list. Second is 'If I should miss heaven' by the Spirit of Memphis Quartet. In the eighties, I also had three LPs by Wings over Jordan Choir and flogged 'em all MILES too quickly, without REALLY listening properly.

One I've looked for for decades is Dave Bailey's Jazzline LP 'Bash'. Selling THAT was a bad move, if there ever was one. Another of those is 'New Orleans blues' by Jimmy Witherspoon & Wilbur deParis. And more than any other bad sale, there's Lloyd Price's 'This is my band' on his own label Double L, with Fred Jackson on alto sax! I was REALLY desperately poor then.

'Rippin' & runnin'' by Johnny Hodges, Eddie Chamblee's 'Chamblee Music' and Duke Pearson's 'Merry ole soul' are also on the perennial list, for when cheapo copies come my way. Also 'Dancing the big twist, by Ray Bryant and 'Milt and Hal' by Buckner & Singer.

Sometimes I wonder if I should buy 'Sidewinder' again, but I soon get over it :g

Still, in the end, one has to eat and, later, wives and kids have to eat, so some records go the way of all vinyl.

MG

13 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Speaking of "The Flam", my copy missing for about ten years. An all-time game changing recording for me. Makes all other Frank Lowe recordings secondary and non-essential compared to his masterpiece.

I became interested in this after hearing Vijay Iyer talk about it.  Great stuff!  I sent my friend the YT link to "Third St.Stomp" and he hated it.  It began a long discussion on my about why free jazz is not just random notes, because to him it's random.  But he does like some other more melodic free stuff.  Wish I still had Chick Corea's "Complete IS sessions" which I dug, and Anat Fort's "A Long Story" which I gave to my best friend b/c she loves piano like that.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Thinking about this a bit more, there are some 45s I greatly regret not having. Top of the list are:

Fats Domino - Why don't you do right? - ABC His ABC stuff wasn't usually all that good, but that one was a real R&B record and as in the pocket as you could get. Should have kept it.

Etta James & Sugar Pie Desanto - Somewhere down the line  Cadet A B side that seems to have been lost among the reissues but was a million times better than the A side (Do I make myself clear).

The Rivingtons - Deep water - Liberty Another B side that's been lost but one of the most soulful records ever made (the B side of Papa-oom-mow-mow).

MG

4 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Thinking about this a bit more, there are some 45s I greatly regret not having. Top of the list are:

Etta James & Sugar Pie Desanto - Somewhere down the line  Cadet A B side that seems to have been lost among the reissues but was a million times better than the A side (Do I make myself clear).

MG

MG:

http://acerecords.co.uk/go-go-power-the-complete-chess-singles-1961-66

8 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

One I've looked for for decades is Dave Bailey's Jazzline LP 'Bash'. Selling THAT was a bad move, if there ever was one.

If it's just the music you want, it was reissued, with alternate takes added, on Black Lion under Kenny Dorham's name. The vinyl will be pretty hard to find, that's for sure.

51Brvaex9HL.jpg

This has happened to me numerous times over the years, and will likely happen to me again as I purge to keep my record / CD collection under control. (I have decided that it's like the House of Representatives here in the US, which has to stay the same size no matter how much the population of the country grows. No matter how many records I buy, my collection has to stay more or less the same size. And it's time for another purge.)

An example that some folks here noticed is Red Allen's World on a String CD, recorded in 1957. I sold it here a few years ago, and someone expressed surprise that I would be willing to part with that one. Sure enough, my resolve didn't stick - I bought another copy a couple of years later.

15 hours ago, mikeweil said:

If it's just the music you want, it was reissued, with alternate takes added, on Black Lion under Kenny Dorham's name. The vinyl will be pretty hard to find, that's for sure.

51Brvaex9HL.jpg

Thank you, Mike. I NEVER look at Kenny Dorham albums, so I didn't know that this was that and that was this; I just thought it was the other!

MG

17 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Thank you, Dan. I wasn't aware of that reissue. I have another reissue of her Chess material, so I can just get a few extra downloads.

MG

4 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Well, I had a good think about this stuff and decided that it was really time I got the Lloyd Price LP. So I did yet another search and found one at Discogs, which I've ordered!!!!

MG

You had me wondering about Fred Jackson on alto so I looked and saw a nice copy on eBay for $10 but it's also available as a CD from Amazon, or as a download so I've filed it away for a future (OK, early April) order.

The only thing I can think of that I've not yet bought back (sigh...) is Sandy's Album Is Here on Verve, by Sandy Hurvitz aka Ezra (sp) Mohawk, produced by Ian Underwood, iird, and with a.o, Eddie Gomez & Jeremy Steig in the band. It's around, but apparently Ms. Mohowk is now some kind of cult legend, and copies are priced accordingly, meaning that I'd give, like $5 for a copy, not $15 +.

It's not even that good a record, to be honest, but there's a personal story I have with it the durability of which I failed to appreciate when I let the record go in the late 70s for not very much, pre-Cult Stardom.

MI0001610021.jpg

Apart from that, nothing I can think of off hand, although I wanted a copy of this after passing it over in a Ben Franklin budget rack in my high school days!

thegroupiesfront1.jpg

thegroupiesback2.jpg