Sonny Rollins Trio & Horace Silver Quintet - Zurich 1959

duaneiac

This CD is showing up on UK Amazon with a release date of April 29.  I haven't seen it on US Amazon yet.

71jnkorR8zL._SL1200_.jpg

1. I Remember You

2. I've Told Every Little Star

3. It Could Happen To You

4. Oleo

5. Will You Still Be Mine?

6. Nica's Dream

7. Cool Eyes

8. Shirl

9. Ecaroh

10. Senor Blues

I have a couple of these "Swiss Radio Days" CDs and the sound on them is generally good, so that is promising.   I'm wondering if the Sonny Rollins Trio tracks were previously included on that EU 3 CD set of Trio recordings from this period.  I don't have that set yet, but would this new CD duplicate what is included on there or supplement it?

35 minutes ago, l p said:

tcb.ch lists 37 volumes, and discogs lists 22 volumes.

the above rollins/silver release is supposedly volume 40.

The homepage of the TCB site says it was last updated in July of 2015.  The record label's founder, Peter Schmidlin, passed away in May of 2015, so there may be some lack of direction in keeping the website updated.  At least the company is still going and still putting out new releases.

Sonny & Horace is up for pre-order on Amazon US:

http://www.amazon.com/Zurich-1959-Swiss-Radio-Days/dp/B01CQ2RPRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460232982&sr=8-1&keywords=swiss+radio+days+sonny+rollins

A little pricey but I'm hoping it comes down before release. When I get it it will be my signal to cancel Amazon Prime again. :g

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a Sonny Rollins recording on DIW from Swedish Radio dated March 4,1959 except for one track which is also from a Swedish radio station "around the same time" with Henry Grime and Pete La Roca .  The cd says it was produced by Dragon Reccords.  Could this be some of the dame tracks?  My cd has seven tracks.  There is no Horace Silver here, just to be clear.

if there is one track here from another station that could mean there are more tracks available.

Edited by six string
Mistakes

3 hours ago, six string said:

I have a Sonny Rollins recording on DIW from Swedish Radio dated March 4,1959 except for one track which is also from a Swedish radio station "around the same time" with Henry Grime and Pete La Roca .  The cd says it was produced by Dragon Reccords.  Could this be some of the dame tracks?  My cd has seven tracks.  There is no Horace Silver here, just to be clear.

if there is one track here from another station that could mean there are more tracks available.

Different release and  location/ country/ date

50 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Of course I have turned the knob it does not tighten further.

12 hours ago, Clunky said:

Different release and  location/ country/ date

Oh crap, I made that classic mistake of mixing Sweden and Switzerland.  Apologies to everyone from both countries.  I don't know if I wanted it to be the same or I'm going blind.  It's as plain as day in the post.  

1 hour ago, six string said:

Oh crap, I made that classic mistake of mixing Sweden and Switzerland.  Apologies to everyone from both countries.  I don't know if I wanted it to be the same or I'm going blind.  It's as plain as day in the post.  

I blew past Zurich in the thread title too!  Aye. :blink:

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this

1374477574054.jpg

Edited by felser

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bertrand said:

This CD is fabulous!!!

Bertrand.

You convinced me. I jut ordered.  It's $28 from Amazon, but $12 plus shipping from a US   3rd party.  Much as I like instant gratification  I think I'll wait a few extra days to have it delivered and save $14.   

Listening now, have had the Sonny stuff for yesrs, first on Moon, then later as part of that Solar set. It's good to finally have it in a version where hopefully somebody got paid at least once.

The Horace set is not as well recorded, but is more than good enough for me. The band is in a good groove and unlike the Rollins set, these are all new performances to me. So we all good on that.

It was a little pricey, but I've paid more and gotten worse, both musically and ethically.

Add: the miking clearly favors Horace on this session, and it's a treat to hear both his comp and soloing in such fine detail. He was one of those cats who, no matter how much "letting go" he liked to project, never left any detail to chance, certainly not concerning his playing. His details are always worth noting, all of them.

• 7 months later...

Sonny is not so happy about this release!   

The Great African-American Classical Art-Form 

Sonny Rollins Trio / Horace Silver Quintet /Swiss Radio Days, Vol. 40: Zurich 1959 http://ow.ly/irc0308aVp8    

**Note from Sonny Rollins. Quote, "While this recording is indeed legal under Swiss law, to release a broadcast such as this after the 50-year copyright period has expired, without any payment or even notification to the artists involved, is unfair. Although this may be a 'legal' release according to Swiss law, it remains, in my view, illegal and completely unauthorized. I never entered into any agreement at any time with these people or with anyone for a recording to be made of our performance or for it to be released."   

On Thursday, March 5, 1959, the Sonny Rollins Trio and the Horace Silver Quintet were in Zurich on a joint European tour. Interestingly, Sonny and Silver were at different points in their careers. Silver had yet to crest and would record the fiery Blowin' the Blues Away in August before riding his funk piano style into the 1960s. Sonny, by contrast, had grown frustrated with his approach on the tenor saxophonist. He feared he was growing too conventional and staid at a time when other saxophonists such as John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman were on the cusp of a more spiritual and freer jazz form. [Silver and Sonny Rollins in 1959]    

When Sonny returned to the States later that spring, he began a sabbatical in the summer that would last until late 1961. During that time, he could be found practicing tirelessly on New York's Williamsburg Bridge, finding solace and energy in the air and sky. While jazz fans would later find Sonny's mid-river retreat romantic, Sonny viewed it as a necessary and grueling pursuit, akin to an athlete attempting to develop a new level of endurance superior to that of rival players. 

In fact, three days before Sonny arrived in Zurich with Silver, Miles Davis had recorded three tracks for Kind of Blue—Freddie the Freeloader, So What and Blue in Green. While Sonny could not have known what was recorded at Columbia's 30th Street Studio, Kind of Blue's release in August surely was another modernist straw that convinced Sonny an artistic hiatus was necessary. Silver, by contrast, who relied much less on songbook standards than Sonny and more on his own steady stream of hard-bop originals, was on a roll.     

That March, the two groups were together in Zurich, with Silver opening for Sonny. At some point during the 5th, the groups wound up at a radio station to use the studios. It's unclear whether this was to record or to rehearse for an upcoming concert. Fortunately, someone flipped on the tape recorder, and their sets were captured. The result was The Sonny Rollins Trio & Horace Silver Quintet: Zurich 1959, part of the Swiss Radio Days Jazz Series. This album is now available on CD thanks to the TCB label.     

Sonny's set opens with I Remember You and is followed by I've Told Every Little Star, It Could Happen to You, Oleo and Will You Still Be Mine? What's fascinating here is that you can hear Sonny's frustration. While his tone is muscular and his runs on the tenor sax are fluid, he seems to be roaming around in search of himself and a groove. Joining him were Henry Grimes on bass and Pete La Roca on drums. Listening to The Bridge, his first album in early 1962 following his self-imposed exile, you hear remarkable contrasts. After his break, you hear a freer attack on Sonny's part and a new level of control and originality. 

Silver's set is refreshing and strong. His quintet in 1959 featured trumpeter Blue Mitchell, tenor saxophonist Junior Cook, bassist Gene Taylor and drummer Louis Hayes. This was an extraordinary group on every level. They were tight, hip, lyrical and soulful. The tracks are Nica's Dream, Cool Eyes, Shirl (just the trio), Ecaroh and Senior Blues. Nica's Dream here marks the first time Silver recorded the original as a leader. The earlier version was for Columbia while Silver was a member of the Jazz Messengers in 1956.   

Perhaps the album's high points are Ecaroh, taken at a faster tempo than the earlier version, and Shirl, a ballad with the horns out. It tops Silver's earlier version in 1956 on 6 Pieces of Silver and is a reminder how sensual and moody Silver could be on original piano ballads. Shirl is matched only by Lonely Woman from Song From My Father (1964).   

The CD's fidelity is crystal clear and provides us with what can only be called two studio albums recorded abroad—one by Sonny Rollins, who was winding down his 1950s phase, and another by Horace Silver, who was just getting started. A breathtaking snapshot of two of jazz's greatest artists at turning points.

Rashid Booker, The Jazz Aficionado
Hey! Thanks for stopping by, please like our page and share the content.
The Most Influential African-American Cultural Network in the Universe!
thejazzaficionado@socialmediastrategiesglobal.net
#NowPlaying 
#MilesDavis #AP #Sothebys #np #TuneIn #Music #Listen #ListenLive #Spotify #Radio #Art #Blues #ArtForm #Luxury #FineArt #RSI #Jazz #Piano #Vinyl #BeBop #HardBop #FreeJazz #PostBop #France #Video #NYC
#Berlin #Paris #TheloniousSpereMonk —
Keeping The Idiom Alive Rashid Booker Harlem USA 125th St