BFT 145 Discusion

Dan Gould

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track 2

I recognized "Bag's Groove", Kenny Dorham and (I now realise wrongly) Thad Jones and a bit of internet research suggested this is Trumpet Summit: Live at Club Ruby 1968.

Truly lovely stuff!

Track 3

I like this, too, but other than recognizing "Now's the Time" have nothing to contribute.

39 minutes ago, BillF said:

Track 2

I recognized "Bag's Groove", Kenny Dorham and (I now realise wrongly) Thad Jones and a bit of internet research suggested this is Trumpet Summit: Live at Club Ruby 1968.

Truly lovely stuff!

Track 3

I like this, too, but other than recognizing "Now's the Time" have nothing to contribute.

Correct on KD, correct that other trumpet is not Thad, but not that Trumpet Summit recording. Recorded closer to the bop era.

Track 4

Sounds like Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and I recognize the tune, but can't put a name to it. Hornmen are in the Shorter/Hubbard tradition - I can't get closer than that. Goes without saying that I like this one.

Track 5

Gorgeous rendering of "Where or When" by tenor in the Webster tradition. Byas?

31 minutes ago, BillF said:

Track 4

Sounds like Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and I recognize the tune, but can't put a name to it. Hornmen are in the Shorter/Hubbard tradition - I can't get closer than that. Goes without saying that I like this one.

Well it is the Messengers but I would say definitely that the trumpeter pre-dates Hubbard (though we can't say that Hubbard didn't influence established trumpeters after his appearance).  This seems like a pretty rare recording we'll see if someone knows it or maybe one of the truly advanced ears like Jim S. or Thom make an ID.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Correct on KD, correct that other trumpet is not Thad, but not that Trumpet Summit recording. Recorded closer to the bop era.

After the third trumpet solo, I'm thinking I'm hearing a British-sounding "Yeah, mate!" Is this recorded in Europe?

Edited by BillF

32 minutes ago, BillF said:

After the third trumpet solo, I'm thinking I'm hearing a British-sounding "Yeah, mate!" Is this recorded in Europe?

Recording location is not provided however I suspect you may be right - even if I never noticed any bloke saying "Yeah mate!" ;)

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Recording location is not provided however I suspect you may be right - even if I never noticed any bloke saying "Yeah mate!" ;)

Possible European connection leads me to guess a few more names: Dizzy Reece, Benny Bailey, Art Taylor.

8 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Well it is the Messengers but I would say definitely that the trumpeter pre-dates Hubbard (though we can't say that Hubbard didn't influence established trumpeters after his appearance).  This seems like a pretty rare recording we'll see if someone knows it or maybe one of the truly advanced ears like Jim S. or Thom make an ID.

It's Bill Hardman's "Politely", and I believe it's from the "Jazz Messengers 70" album with Hardman, Carlos Garnett, Joanne Brackeen, and Jan Arnett.

First positive ID and its of one of the 'harder' items, to my mind. Not for the tune or that it's Blakey but I didn't even know this album existed before I stumbled across it on my 50th b-day vinyl safari in the Naples area last September.

Well done, sir!

Edited by Dan Gould

1. Interesting blues, in an odd key.  Large horn section.  Fathead?  Johnny Griffin?

2. Mono.  Bags Groove, 2 trumpets.  Probably an aircheck.  Fats Navarro?  Miles?  

3. Now’s The Time.  Guitar behind trumpet.  Jim Hall?  Raw sound quality.  Piano too far forward in the mix.  Guitar solo shows it’s not Jim Hall.  A Left Bank Society recording?

4. Already identified.

5. Where Or When?  Pretty rendition; saxist certainly has control of his lower register.  

6. Need to listen again.  Is it an Oliver Nelson arrangement?

7. Ray Bryant?  One of his Pablos?

8. Senor Blues. Two pianos; the left-hand pianist is stronger.  Need to listen again.

9. Blue Monk, as already noted.  Tenor and bari, or two tenors?  Need to listen again.

10. Late ’50’s - early ’60’s.  Need to listen again.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

First positive ID and its of one of the 'harder' items, to my mind. Not for the tune or that it's Blakey but I didn't even know this album existed before I stumbled across it on my 50th b-day vinyl safari in the Naples area last September.

Well done, sir!

I was able to pick up that and some of the other Catalyst LP's at Third Street Jazz back in the day, but they are long gone from my collection at this point.  Wish they would come out on CD, especially this one and the Waldron/Peacock "First Encounter".

Got some kind of pseudo-flu thing going on, so the usual thanks and disclaimers, feverishly in place, let's be breif!

TRACK ONE - Booker Ervin, from Booker 'n' Brass?

TRACK TWO - Sounds like Woody Shaw and Thad Jones?!?!? And then some other guy? The pianist's com reminds me of Richie Powell? Are we here? http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-best-of-the-jazz-trumpets-mw0000201156

If so, I can hear KD in retrospect, the tone, more chromaticism than usual but the tone, yeah. I would not have guessed Howard McGhee, sorry Maggie.

TRACK THREE - Is this one of the Don Wilkerson in Houston live things? Love the tenor player, find the rest of the band kind of annoying. And oh good, there's alto!

TRACK FOUR - Well, that's Blakey, early 70s probably. Love that tenor. John Gilmore meets Charles Lloyd! Not Woody Shwa, though, who would be the go to pick for this vintage. No matter, that's a meaty piece of meat!

TRACK FIVE - Don't think it's Hawk, but you don't get there without Hawk. Like that coda, sweet! Flip Phillips? Charlie Ventura? That's solid.

TRACK SIX - Ok, that's not Grant Green, and that it sounds so much like Grant Green is a problem for me. I would have wildass guessed Rhoda Scott w/Thad/Mel, but nothing on that record is that long. It's not bad at all, just maybe lacking some kind of spark, although I like the trombone, he/she is not a "clean" player at all, and let's hear it for that!

TRACK SEVEN - Will this be the requisite Gene Harris cut? "Please Send Me Someone To Love". It has good flavor.

TRACK EIGHT - Sounds like Les McCann playing Senor Blues. Probably isn't, but that's what it sounds like. Eddie HArris, where are you?

TRACK NINE - Swear to god, that first tenor player sounds like Flip Phillips. Second guy, like Scott Hamilton with Griff in the shadows? Don't know if I care for the pianist, seems kind of...florid. Tenor players, y'all go on in. Piano player, you wait here. I don't see your name on the list.

TRACK TEN - Oh HELL yeah! Sounds like an Oliver Nelson chart, the sax voicings...is it Ray Charles? That tenor player knows his horn like a lover knows there partner, where all the soft spots and hidden curves are.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Got some kind of pseudo-flu thing going on, so the usual thanks and disclaimers, feverishly in place, let's be breif!

TRACK ONE - Booker Ervin, from Booker 'n' Brass?

Not Booker.

TRACK TWO - Sounds like Woody Shaw and Thad Jones?!?!? And then some other guy? The pianist's com reminds me of Richie Powell? Are we here? http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-best-of-the-jazz-trumpets-mw0000201156

If so, I can hear KD in retrospect, the tone, more chromaticism than usual but the tone, yeah. I would not have guessed Howard McGhee, sorry Maggie.

KD has been identified. It's two trumpeters not three, and its not from that Denon comp.

TRACK THREE - Is this one of the Don Wilkerson in Houston live things? Love the tenor player, find the rest of the band kind of annoying. And oh good, there's alto!

Nope not Wilkerson and recorded quite a distance away from Houston. But I figured you'd lurve the tenor player and no I wasn't sure anyone would find the rest of the band all that engaging.

TRACK FOUR - Well, that's Blakey, early 70s probably. Love that tenor. John Gilmore meets Charles Lloyd! Not Woody Shwa, though, who would be the go to pick for this vintage. No matter, that's a meaty piece of meat!

Felser nailed this one.

TRACK FIVE - Don't think it's Hawk, but you don't get there without Hawk. Like that coda, sweet! Flip Phillips? Charlie Ventura? That's solid.

Not Flip or Charlie. People may be surprised by this one.

TRACK SEVEN - Will this be the requisite Gene Harris cut? "Please Send Me Someone To Love". It has good flavor.

TRACK EIGHT - Sounds like Les McCann playing Senor Blues. Probably isn't, but that's what it sounds like. Eddie HArris, where are you?

Hmmm you are usually very good at identifying Gene and Not Gene tracks but both of those were misses. Must be the fever.

TRACK NINE - Swear to god, that first tenor player sounds like Flip Phillips. Second guy, like Scott Hamilton with Griff in the shadows?

Scott Hamilton earns a ding-ding-ding but it's not Flip on first tenor.

TRACK TEN - Oh HELL yeah! Sounds like an Oliver Nelson chart, the sax voicings...is it Ray Charles? That tenor player knows his horn like a lover knows there partner, where all the soft spots and hidden curves are.

Not Ray or an Oliver Nelson chart. But the tenor player is someone you're known to lurve too.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

1. Interesting blues, in an odd key.  Large horn section.  Fathead?  Johnny Griffin?

2. Mono.  Bags Groove, 2 trumpets.  Probably an aircheck.  Fats Navarro?  Miles?  

3. Now’s The Time.  Guitar behind trumpet.  Jim Hall?  Raw sound quality.  Piano too far forward in the mix.  Guitar solo shows it’s not Jim Hall.  A Left Bank Society recording?

4. Already identified.

5. Where Or When?  Pretty rendition; saxist certainly has control of his lower register.  

6. Need to listen again.  Is it an Oliver Nelson arrangement?

7. Ray Bryant?  One of his Pablos?

8. Senor Blues. Two pianos; the left-hand pianist is stronger.  Need to listen again.

9. Blue Monk, as already noted.  Tenor and bari, or two tenors?  Need to listen again.

10. Late ’50’s - early ’60’s.  Need to listen again.

Some interesting first thoughts but none of them hits it on the head.