BFT 145 Discusion

Dan Gould

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

Oh, you may be overestimating many of us.

It only takes one.

Not Golson.

I have hints for #3 and for "Please Send Me Someone to Love" that are guaranteed to give them away so I am going to hang back until the end of the month, post them on the 29th, to give others a chance.

Regarding hints, here's one for #7:

He recorded a few times for Weinstock labels, but his career in his hometown continued long past that brief period of national attention. 

As for #3 I can't help but think it unfortunate that some have crapped all over the leader's presumably hand-picked band.

Ok, the file seems to no longer be up, but #7 = John Wright?

#3 has me more stumped now than ever...you said it was a band of unknowns to you, other than the bassist, correct? And that the saxophonist is a major name? And now, that this was a presumably handpicked band?

Uncle!

However, after repeated listenings, the only player who remains irksome is the drummer, and only then if it is not Frankie Dunlop.

48 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, the file seems to no longer be up, but #7 = John Wright?

DING DING DING

#3 has me more stumped now than ever...you said it was a band of unknowns to you, other than the bassist, correct? And that the saxophonist is a major name? And now, that this was a presumably handpicked band?

Uncle!

However, after repeated listenings, the only player who remains irksome is the drummer, and only then if it is not Frankie Dunlop.

Bassist and maybe the guitarist.  I am presuming that the leader selected his bandmates for the gig. 

Was it recorded at Bubba's? But that would mean Eddie Higgins, and he's hardly unknown, so no.

Ok, I'm really begging here, call me Tyrone Davis, but in what city was it recorded? Not that that will help, if I was going to get it, I think I'd have gotten it by now...

39 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Was it recorded at Bubba's? But that would mean Eddie Higgins, and he's hardly unknown, so no.

Ok, I'm really begging here, call me Tyrone Davis, but in what city was it recorded? Not that that will help, if I was going to get it, I think I'd have gotten it by now...

Long Island, NY. Maybe these are mostly guys who couldn't even get gigs in the outer boroughs.

I think I'm out of shit by now! :g

Gotta say, though, perhaps I'm not hearing the full sound of the player. My personal PC is really buggy right now so I'm leaving it off. Work computer does not allow access to the site, so all I've been listening on is phone.

and not Scott Hamilton? or Eric Alexander? or George Coleman? or Tennerbaum Lacmocarus? or Tommy Newsome?

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think I'm out of shit by now! :g

Gotta say, though, perhaps I'm not hearing the full sound of the player. My personal PC is really buggy right now so I'm leaving it off. Work computer does not allow access to the site, so all I've been listening on is phone.

and not Scott Hamilton? or Eric Alexander? or George Coleman? or Tennerbaum Lacmocarus? or Tommy Newsome?

No no no no and no.

But I guess you'll be SOL until/unless you hear it on better speakers than the phone is giving youy.

Apologies for getting to this so late — almost missed my second consecutive one.  (Oddly, I listened to BOTH more than once, something I don’t usually get to do.)  A home studio project is sucking a lot of my time.  At any rate, here goes:  

Track 1 - My first thought was Batman, but that’s not correct.  Given who is behind this, I have to guess this is a Gene Harris project.  Big-boned tenor beast.  Like a less-agile J-Griff.  Hmmm… that piano does NOT strike me as Gene.  Man… “why you do this to me, Dimi?”

Track 2 - Bags Groove, I’m guessing the drummer’s record because that high hat seems to be right in the center of my forehead.  Shades of Kenny Dorham in the trumpet sound, but not him.  Same mild attack, though.  Has the feel of a mid-70s Pablo date.  Great chops on the trumpeter, but he’s not even working up a sweat.  Great control, spot-on rhythm… why can’t I peg this guy?  Second trumpeter has a fatter sound, reminds me of Don Sleet.  Doesn’t quite have the rhythmic facility of the first guy, but is playing with a bit more… struggle?  I mean, he’s working it harder, but maybe doesn’t have quite the chops of the first guy.  Drummer is bringing nothing to drive these guys.  Like a busy Shelley Manne.  A THIRD guy?  If this guy were playing an octave higher, I’d guess Dizzy.  I like the way the pianist is working in-and-out of the changes — almost like a sane Tristano.  In fours section it’s the second guy speaking to me the most.  Overall, I think I prefer them 1, 2, 3, though.  No ideas.

Track 3 - The Hucklebuck!  (He kidded)  A few years back, I went to see some local guys play — all phenomenal players.  The conversation went like this:  

Trumpet: “Wanna play a blues?”

Sax:  “Sure.”

Trumpet: “Take The Coltrane?”

Sax  “I don’t know it.”

Trumpet:  “It’s just a Blues in C.”

WRONG!  That’s what steals the feel of this music.  Play the SONG, not a ‘Blues in C’.  This strikes me as guys doing the latter.  It’s technically correct, but I’m getting any feel of interest from it.  Could be Red Holloway on tenor.  Good time, good ideas (though not a helluva lot to do with Now’s The Time to my ear).  No idea on the trumpet.  Again, drums just seem to be coasting along, not really driving anything.  All three solos are good blues solos, but don’t really fit the tune, to me. Guitarist is pretty filthy; could be Barney Kessell.  Huh… I’m going to say the pianist is NOT Gene Harris, but he’d like to be. :D Now the ALTO is playing the SONG!  Drummer is beating the hell out of the drums but not really inspiring… Buddy Rich? (kidding, but I don’t care for him)   I should be able to get the alto, because he’s killing it, but I can’t peg him.  Okay, he just got a little crazy up high, but still, he’s on it.  Could it be the tenor player double-dipping?  If so, that would support my Red Holloway guess.

Track 4 - That would be Mr. Blakey.  Hmmm… or would it?  Sounds like Ralph Bowen on tenor which would lead me to believe this is Ralph Peterson doing is uncanny take on Blakey.  Is this Out of the Blue?  I had all there stuff way back, but was most familiar with the Mt. Fuji record.  Nice facility on the trumpet… could be Mossman.  Huh… wait… missing 3rd horn (KG).  Man, I would have sworn that was Harry Pickens on piano, too — always sounds like he’s playing Parisian Thoroughfare when he solos (not a bad thing).  Man… is this some obscure Gene Harris thing you’re tricking me with?  Also, needle drop?

Track 5 - Where or When?  Now.  Always hear this as a Dexter-ish swinger in my head.  I’m thinking Lucky Thompson, but oddly, I’m not familiar with the version, and I have a LOT of Lucky.  I’m sticking with that guess, though, because the combination of that bold, smokey sound with that Golson-esque facility just doesn’t lead me to anybody else.  Gotta be Lucky.  OH!  Wait… early one — Accent on Tenor.  Billy Taylor on piano, I think.  

Track 6 - Certainly has that Concord big band feel.  Sounds like Grady Tate to me on drums.  

Track 7 - Okay… I’ve got to be right ONE time.  Gene Harris on piano!  (And it really DOES sound like him.)  

Track 8 - Loving all of this.  Reminds me a great deal of a Randy Weston tune, but not him.  Has that feel, though, with that driving bass.  Man, I’ll take double helpings of that.

Track 9 - Sad Padre.  Another with that Concord sound.  A Hawk influence on the first tenor, but seems to come out of that blues background.  I like him, but it’s not a guy I’m familiar with.  A beast, though.  Hast that ‘electric’ articulation like James Carter uses.  I dig it.  Seems to be flirting with the Webster side of this equation, but a bit out of context (meaning a bit forced).  Sounds to cool a sound to be Scott Hamilton, but I’m guessing it’s in that neighborhood.  The Hawkish guy seems almost like Gator with a touch of Harold Ashby added, though I believe him to be neither.  I’ll be interested to find out the ID on this one.

Track 10 - Love it.  Huh… Big, beastly sound.  I’m thinking Plas Johnson, though the sound doesn’t seem quite so dark.  Could be Sweets on an adventurous day.  Me likey.

Thanks again for reminding me just how little of this music I've actually heard. ;)

Thom,

Thanks for participating, you always have interesting things to say. I was hoping you might put Jim out of his misery on #3 but we're still Shit-out-of-luck on that one. Can MG show up and come up with it? Yeah, maybe if it didn't sound too much like jazz.

I am sure you'll scroll thru the thread to see what was ID'd; unfortunately #7 was a very good "Not Gene" track that you missed.  And I think you'll kick yourself not to recognize Teddy Edwards (twice!). :g

But excellent instincts on Lucky Thompson.