the bill savory collection-finally

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that are exactly the sites i´ve found this one year ago on April, 01. and i thought it would be nice to share this April here. but you all smell the fish! :lol:

let´s dream a Little more and hope that this dream Comes true one day!!!! 

Keep boppin´

marcel  

• 5 months later...

"Savory "taped" the music?    I don't think so.  I believe  the collection is all dubs on disc.  My theory is that Savory was recording whole programs  as part of his job and then made dubs of his favorite  individual performances  (    And despite those who  want to to criticize his penchant for Benny Goodman he obviously had pretty good taste. )

BTW I hope they include the live version of Body and Soul   I heard that was broadcast before the RCA side was recorded.  (Or at least I think that was what I heard-- the version embedded in this story is a lot like what I remember.  Maybe I read the date wrong.) 

Edited by medjuck

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

"Savory "taped" the music?    I don't think so.  I believe  the collection is all dubs on disc.  My theory is that Savory was recording whole programs  as part of his job and then made dubs of his favorite  individual performances  (    And despite those who  want to to criticize his penchant for Benny Goodman he obviously had pretty good taste. )

BTW I hope they include the live version of Body and Soul   I heard that was broadcast before the RCA side was recorded.  (Or at least I think that was what I heard-- the version embedded in this story is a lot like what I remember.  Maybe I read the date wrong.) 

It appears that the live version of Body and Soul will be included.  It's available for listening from a link in the NY Times story.  The article says that the live version was from May 1940, about seven months after the studio version.  

I too wish that it had been a "physical" release or at least would be in a lossless format.  

If all of these recordings are of the quality of the Hawkins "Body and Soul"shared via that NYT piece, maybe we really are looking at something like a Holy Grail here... even its its made of bits and not aluminum, vinyl, etc. Though I would expect that, should these digital releases perform well enough, you can expect some Record Store Day iterations of this material.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, I don't buy/have yet to buy from iTunes or Apple Music, but will if there's no other option (as seems to be the case here). I'm assuming the files will be offered in non-proprietary formats, correct? And will there be lossless available for those who want them?

I don't think there's any indication of lossless being contemplated. But I am now wondering, just what format does iTunes use?  I am presuming I don't have to buy some f-ing piece of Apple hardware to hear, right?

Apple lossless is AAC format, I think? Not universally accepted on all Windows players, but file conversion is easy enough, or has been. And they play in iTunes, obviously.

Regular files, mp3, I would hope, but am not sure. Would like to know for sure.

I just want something I can burn on a PC, to have hard copies of.