the bill savory collection-finally

12 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

The full version of Acrobat allows you to reorder the pages in a PDF file. There are other online services that can do this as well without requiring you to install any sofware, such as this one:

https://www.sejda.com/visually-combine-reorder-pdf

I haven't used this specific service, but I have had to do this in the past, and the (long forgotten) one that I used got the job done.

It's a little more complicated than that.  Each page in the digital booklet, except for the front and back cover, has two printed pages.  For example, db (digital booklet) page 2 has printed pages (pp) 2 & 3; db page 3 has pp 4 & 5; db page 3 has pp 6 & 7, etc.  Each db page folds down the vertical center; if it were actually printed, there'd be two staples down that vertical fold.  Also, a printed booklet has double-sided printed pages.  Because only 42 booklet-sized pages are provided, this presents a problem because normally you'd need 44: 11 double-sided pages that would be folded down the center to provide 44 booklet-sized pages. 

In order to actually print the db, the pagination would have to be as follows (ignoring the covers): db page 1 would need on one side pp 2 & 40, and on the other side pp 3 & 39.  The next db (page 2) would need on one side pp 4 & 38, and on the other side pp 5 & 37; etc.

So to use Sejda, you'd also need to cut each db page down the center and then reorder those pages.  It's a big mess. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realized there might be potential pagination issues like the ones you describe after I posted that. Glad that Sejda provided a partial resolution to the problem. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any free utilities that can merge multiple pages into a single page - the one that seems to get recommended a lot is an Acrobat plugin called Quite Imposing:

http://www.quite.com/imposing/index.htm

but it requires Acrobat 9 or later. 

There's a related discussion here that I just skimmed - you may want to go through it in a bit more detail:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/711593

On a SLIGHTLY related matter:

Do we know (or is there any rundown on this) to what extent (beyond Benny Goodman) any portions of the Savory recordings have been issued before?

The other day, while browsing through my vinyl collection, I pulled out Fanfare 15-115 ("Small Band Jazz- Rare Broadcasts") released in 1977 and featuring Red Norvo (1936), Bud Freeman (1940), Miff Mole feat. Muggsy Spanier and Pee Wee Russell (1944) and "The Captivators" (feat. Ben Webster and CharlieShavers (1943), and the fine print on the back says:

"This series of LPs comes from a private collection of over three thousand hours of broadcast recordings that has been assembed, in many cases, with the help of the participating musicans themselves".

Who was that, I wonder? Surely not all LP releases of airshots etc. from the Swing era can have been Boris Rose stuff, right?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

On a SLIGHTLY related matter:

Do we know (or is there any rundown on this) to what extent (beyond Benny Goodman) any portions of the Savory recordings have been issued before?

The other day, while browsing through my vinyl collection, I pulled out Fanfare 15-115 ("Small Band Jazz- Rare Broadcasts") released in 1977 and featuring Red Norvo (1936), Bud Freeman (1940), Miff Mole feat. Muggsy Spanier and Pee Wee Russell (1944) and "The Captivators" (feat. Ben Webster and CharlieShavers (1943), and the fine print on the back says:

"This series of LPs comes from a private collection of over three thousand hours of broadcast recordings that has been assembed, in many cases, with the help of the participating musicans themselves".

Who was that, I wonder? Surely not all LP releases of airshots etc. from the Swing era can have been Boris Rose stuff, right?

this comes from the ed burke archive, now hosted in the university of colorado. look here:

http://www.colorado.edu/amrc/sites/default/files/attached-files/EDWARD%20BURKE%20COLLECTION.pdf

keep boppin´

marcel

10 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

I realized there might be potential pagination issues like the ones you describe after I posted that. Glad that Sejda provided a partial resolution to the problem. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any free utilities that can merge multiple pages into a single page - the one that seems to get recommended a lot is an Acrobat plugin called Quite Imposing:

http://www.quite.com/imposing/index.htm

but it requires Acrobat 9 or later. 

There's a related discussion here that I just skimmed - you may want to go through it in a bit more detail:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/711593

Wow.  Thanks again for that, Dave.  I'll try not to hijack the thread more on this topic.  Two little things: Sejda worked as a solution for viewing on a computer screen; interestingly, the pages are still connected if you try to print.  I've thought of a simpler, though less elegant solution: print the pages as originally provided, fold on the vertical to create CD-sized pages, and then sew it shut on the left side.  Voila!  You have a bound booklet.  (Stapling might scratch the CD.)

Anyone else get the following message recently?

>>>

Dear iTunes Customer,

Thank you for purchasing songs from the album The National Jazz Museum In Harlem Presents: The Savory Collection, Vol. 1: Body and Soul: Coleman Hawkins & Friends by Various Artists. On your original purchase, the following tracks may not have been properly labeled or had incorrect audio: "A-Tisket, A-Tasket," "Yacht Club Swing / Hold My Hand," "I Haven't Changed A Thing," and "Summer Souvenirs / Who Blew Out The Flame." The tracks have been corrected, and new copies are now available.

If you downloaded these tracks before they were corrected, you will need to remove the tracks from your device(s) and re-download them in order to access the corrected versions.

>>>

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

I think it has to do with the titles being incorrect or in the wrong order. I had to rearrange them manually. I got the e-mail but haven't done anything yet as my playlist seems to be fine. 

I was somewhat puzzled by the reference to "incorrect audio."  It could mean simply that they had a mismatch between the audio and the associated titling (i.e., just a labeling problem), but it could also mean that they had posted something other than the intended audio track.  For example, it could mean that a preliminary version of an audio track had been posted instead of the final.  I'm not suggesting that this is what happened, but I wish that they had been more clear about the problem.

On 11/4/2016 at 7:52 AM, jazztrain said:

Anyone else get the following message recently?

>>>

Dear iTunes Customer,

Thank you for purchasing songs from the album The National Jazz Museum In Harlem Presents: The Savory Collection, Vol. 1: Body and Soul: Coleman Hawkins & Friends by Various Artists. On your original purchase, the following tracks may not have been properly labeled or had incorrect audio: "A-Tisket, A-Tasket," "Yacht Club Swing / Hold My Hand," "I Haven't Changed A Thing," and "Summer Souvenirs / Who Blew Out The Flame." The tracks have been corrected, and new copies are now available.

If you downloaded these tracks before they were corrected, you will need to remove the tracks from your device(s) and re-download them in order to access the corrected versions.

>>>

I started working on this this morning.  Apple put the new version in my iTunes, with a location that begins with http://audio.itunes.apple.com, so I was able to visually compare the two versions.  Here are the differences in timings (I haven't listened to them yet):

A-Tisket A-Tasket: old version 1:55, new version 2:22

Yacht Club Swing / Hold My Hand: old version 3:39, new version 4:31

I Haven't Changed A Thing: old version 3:52, new version 4:21

Summer Souvenirs / Who Blew Out The Flame: old version 5:25, new version 4:30.

So Summer Souvenirs is the only track that's longer on the older version.  All tracks are in the same sequence in both versions.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

I started working on this this morning.  Apple put the new version in my iTunes, with a location that begins with http://audio.itunes.apple.com, so I was able to visually compare the two versions.  Here are the differences in timings (I haven't listened to them yet):

A-Tisket A-Tasket: old version 1:55, new version 2:22

Yacht Club Swing / Hold My Hand: old version 3:39, new version 4:31

I Haven't Changed A Thing: old version 3:52, new version 4:21

Summer Souvenirs / Who Blew Out The Flame: old version 5:25, new version 4:30.

So Summer Souvenirs is the only track that's longer on the older version.  All tracks are in the same sequence in both versions.

Thanks for doing this.  BTW Does that mean we should keep the old Summer Souvenirs? 

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

Thanks for doing this.  BTW Does that mean we should keep the old Summer Souvenirs? 

I can't tell, because although the full timings of the new version show in iTunes, only snippets play.  I think the best way is to burn your old version to a CD, then delete and replace as per Apple's instructions.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

I've just spent an hour with Apple Customer Service regarding redownloading the album.  My advice is to not bother.

That's discouraging. 

An explanation from some reliable source about the relationship between what we originally downloaded and what's being offered now would be welcome.  Are the "originals" edited versions or other performances?  After all this time, one would have hoped that they'd get this right!

1 hour ago, jazztrain said:

That's discouraging. 

An explanation from some reliable source about the relationship between what we originally downloaded and what's being offered now would be welcome.  Are the "originals" edited versions or other performances?  After all this time, one would have hoped that they'd get this right!

There is a update on the Jazz museum website just below the track listing http://jazzmuseuminharlem.org/savory/. Basicly there was a misstaken in the editing.

Here's the information on the Jazz Museum in Harlem website:

>>>

UPDATE
We’ve discovered that there were unintentional errors on the initial version of The Savory Collection, Vol. 1 that was made available on Apple Music and iTunes. Three of the Fats Waller and his Rhythm tracks – #6, #7, #8 – contained the songs listed but were edited differently than presented. Also, Ella Fitzgerald’s “A-Tisket, A-Tasket” was incorrect and has been replaced. We have made the changes and Apple Music and iTunes are in the process of contacting all customers who purchased the release to provide them replacement tracks. It is important to us that we ensure the accuracy of this release, so please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.

>>>