Happy Birthday, Randy Weston

Milestones

I just found out today that he'll be at the Detroit Jazz Fest this year with his African Rhythms band, which will be joined by a big band!  Having seen Weston perform a solo set, a duo with Billy Harper and with his African Rhythms band (I only caught part of that set, unfortunately), I'm looking forward to seeing this concert as well.  Happy Birthday, Mr. Weston!

Edited by Justin V

4 hours ago, king ubu said:

Would love to catch him live one more time! - is he still performing? 

Happy Birthday, thank you so much for the many hours of listening (and that's living, obviously) pleasure.

There's going to be a celebration in Bedford Stuyvenant (sp?) Friday night starting at 7 PM. 

4 hours ago, king ubu said:

Would love to catch him live one more time! - is he still performing? 

Happy Birthday, thank you so much for the many hours of listening (and that's living, obviously) pleasure.

I believe he is still performing...

• 1 month later...

Happy belated birthday to one of my favorite pianists.  I'd love to have been in NYC when he was playing so many gigs.  I haven't seen him in close to ten years I think, my how time flies.  I have had the pleasure of hearing him solo, trio, African Rhythms trio, bigband and everything in between.  A beautiful cat wih one of the great sounds in piano jazz.  I recently received a reissue of his Niles Little Big on Polydor from CDJapan.  It is a limited edition so .........I'd like to see him again if possible.  I might have to go to NYC to do it.  April would have been a good time to do it but that is water under the bridge now.  

Edited by six string