Your First Mosaic Set Purchased

Same here.

You lucky son-of-a-gun, you son-of-a-weizen! How's the booklet for that Brooks box?

Pretty good! We get to hear about how your Indiana man Freddie Hubbard stayed at Brook's place in the Bronx and would get lost on the subways every night after gigs at the 845 Club......dodging hoodlums and so forth.

I'll send you a copy.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of getting on their mailing list, I received the catalogue out of the blue one day. I had never heard of them. I don't know how they got my name, but I had previously ordered the Fantasy catalogue, so my guess was that they got the Fantasy list.

Anyway, I called to place my order, and I spoke with Charlie Lourie. I asked him how they got my name, and he said, "The Jazz Police." :P

The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Thelonious Monk, lo these many years ago. Long available in "conventional" sets. The Port of Harlem Jazzmen and Tina Brooks sets soon followed, and the Pacific Jazz Art Pepper, the first Pepper I ever got. Ammons/Lewis and Herbie Nichols around that time, too. (Mid-80's.)

For a while I got them all---got the first 10 or 11 sets, then started taking periodic Mosaic sabbaticals. (Should start another.) Don't know which is worse, heroin or Mosaic. :rolleyes:

Edited by BruceH

As some of you know, I am a real "old fart" .. I turned 64 today.. and I have been collecting for a long time ... my first LP album in 1953 was Buddy DeFranco's 10" MGM "King of the Clarinet" (which I still have, esconced in a glass frame on my study wall) ... Anyway, I was still doing my radio show when Mosiac announced their initial offerings.. I got the Monk, and everything that followed in the next few years, gradually becoming more selective. My Shorty Rogers set is still in LP form ... anyone want to swop for CDs? One kind member here was kind enough to make a set of DeFranco CDRs for me ... I still have this set in LP form as well, but gradually sold all of the other LPs on eBay and replaced them with CDs ...

What I want to know is how many customers do Mosaic currently have on their books... what are latest customer numbers? (The range is fine .. i.e. are the numbers in the 4xxxx range or 7xxxx by now? My number is in the 12xx range ... )

Garth,

Houston.

What I want to know is how many customers do Mosaic currently have on their books... what are latest customer numbers? (The range is fine .. i.e. are the numbers in the 4xxxx range or 7xxxx by now? My number is in the 12xx range ... )

Think higher!

I'm pretty new as I just ordered my 1st last December.

I'm 139,XXX.

Yowsa!

:o I just got my Blue Mitchell and Stanley Turrentine sets today. Big ol' boxes won't fit anywhere on my shelves, but I do like the packaging for the most part. Beautiful pictures. If I had one complaint, it would be that the plastic cd tray that holds the jewel cases inside the box seems a little on the flimsy side.

That said I'm listening to Blue Mitchell disc one as I type and could not be happier with the music. B) :tup:party:

My first Mosaic purchase was the Blakey 1960 set in 1990 or 1991. I had just passed all of my qualifying exams after my first year of grad school. Passing them all on the first try was an accomplishment worthy of such a reward. Despite living by modest means at the time, one must properly celebrate special personal achievements!

my first order was the monk blue note, clifford brown, tina brooks and the quebec/hardee. my first ten or so mosaics were all vinyls either because they were not issued as cd's or i had not progressed yet to the new cd technology. The early booklets had sort of a bluish black look to the cover and Mosaic was located in Santa Monica. I first heard about Mosaic while driving through Webster, MA and listening either to Michael Cuscuna or Charlie Lourie being interviewed on a local

NPR station.