NYC - Fri, April 22 (or maybe Sat 4/23) - anything going on live?

Looks like I'm going to be in NYC for work Thu & Fri that week, and could stay over until Saturday (or even Sunday, I suppose).

Thing is, there's a rare Gary Thomas live date (with him as the leader) back here in Baltimore on Saturday (4/23) that I'm really tempted to go to, but I could otherwise catch something in NYC on Friday night (4/22).

Checked the Village Vanguard and Smalls schedules, but have to confess I'm ignorant of the whole scene otherwise in NYC.

Anything going on then that I should be aware of?  Jazz, or even Classical (strong preference for 20th Century, or late-late Romantic-era stuff).

Thanks!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

You can get fairly complete listings off of the latest issue of New York City Jazz Record. http://www.nycjazzrecord.com/

Personally, I would probably go see Melissa Aldana at Smalls on April 22, and possibly the Central Brooklyn Jazz Festival at Sista's on Saturday (Central Brooklyn Jazz Festival: Vincent Chancey All-Stars with Bryan Carrott, Bertha Hope, Hill Greene, Newman Taylor Baker Sistas’ Place 9, 10:30 pm $20) (though I've never actually been to that club). 

Excellent in/out quartet at Cornelia Street Cafe featuring Ellery Eskelin & Eric McPherson on 4/22. Plus the bassist Stephan Crump is excellent / not familiar with the trumpeter

Plus I'm going to an amazing show on 4/21 in Brooklyn @ Threes Brewing

2 bands playing Ornette music featuring a quartet with Darius Jones, Nate Wooley, Trevor Dunn & Ryan Sawyer and a quintet featuring Josh Sinton.  

Been wanting to see the above quartet for a while - awesome alto/trumpet tandem with what looks like should be a destructive bass/drum team

3rd set combines the 2 for a Nonet who will play some of Skies of America

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably have to decide in about 3-4 days, so I can get my train tix.

Is there a good classical music calendar on-line anywhere for NYC? (The right obscure 20th century composer might temp me too.)

Thanks again!

Best (only?) hard-core modern classical music calendar I know is Soundart.org

But I checked when you first posted yesterday, and nothing at all on the relevant dates.

Here are some

Village Vanguard has the Eric Reed Quartet

Jazz Standard has the Patricia Barber Quartet

Smoke has Jeremy Pelt Quartet

Mezzrow has Andy Bey Solo

Dizzy's has the Joe Locke Quintet 

Birdland has The Yellowjackets

Bluenote has Michel Camilo

Smalls has the Bob DeMeo Quartet and also the Melissa Aldana Quartet

Jazz Gallery has solo piano night. 7:30 pm Fabian Almazan, 8:15 pm Theo Hill, 9:00 pm Kris Davis

Kitano has Joyce Breach Trio

JALC has Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman)

On 4/8/2016 at 4:12 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Looks like I'm going to be in NYC for work Thu & Fri that week, and could stay over until Saturday (or even Sunday, I suppose).

Thing is, there's a rare Gary Thomas live date (with him as the leader) back here in Baltimore on Saturday (4/23) that I'm really tempted to go to, but I could otherwise catch something in NYC on Friday night (4/22).

Checked the Village Vanguard and Smalls schedules, but have to confess I'm ignorant of the whole scene otherwise in NYC.

Anything going on then that I should be aware of?  Jazz, or even Classical (strong preference for 20th Century, or late-late Romantic-era stuff).

Thanks!!

David Weiss & Point of Departure April 22 at Fat Cat 75 Christopher Street. 10:30 pm. $3 cover charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought of our friend Clifford when these fucking guys play a suite selected from Skies of America with no rehearsal with only a 10 minute set-up by Josh Sinton and some charts. 50 minutes later I'm dumbfounded. Heard the piece 20 something years ago. This thing last night if it was released would bend the 2-3 minds that should be kicking themselves for not being in front of the maelstrom. 2 drummer back line awe-inspiring despite maybe never having played besides each other - how's that work?!?!?

lots of winners all round but that new guy tenor dude from the first band is a real voice, Sinton is always immense, but Nate Wooley and Darius Jones take the cake - they oughtta be - well you know....

wow - why I sometimes take the rush hour 2 hour drive to Brooklyn on a weekday

Giants Walk This Earth