Jimmy Lyons

jlhoots

Yeah, she can play. If it's just that it's bassoon that turns some people off, fine, I guess (seems silly to me, but different stokes, etc), but if there's any feelings that she can't play, that's just wrong.

Same thing with Irene Aebi, really, her voice has just not been for me (although, again, starting to grow on me), but she's got the skills.

As for the wife thing, this kind of music really doesn't generally lend itself to the Paul & Linda type thing.

I received the box, have listened to all of the Borca material on it, and I like her playing (and her instrument).  The box in whole is pretty great, as others had noted.  I still have the 1975 loft trio set on the box left to listen to for the first time.

• 5 years later...

In the absence of general Lyons thread in Artists (shame on this board), posting this here.

Been listening to Lyons / Cyrille duo "Burnt Offering" and there is some strange stuff going on the first 1.5 minutes of the music. It sounds like somebody (Cyrille, I guess) is playing a saxophone mouthpiece or some whistle together with Lyons. Very annoying. Could anyone venture a guess what is that being played? And by whom? I don't remember Cyrille playing whistles or other shit like that (Bennink - yes, Sommer - yes, but Cyrille?) on any other records of his I heard.     

Edited by Д.Д.

10 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

In the absence of general Lyons thread in Artists (shame on this board), posting this here.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have upgraded your account (at no extra charge!) to allow you to create and maintain a thread about any artist of your choosing.

Enjoy!