Jimmy Lyons

jlhoots

13 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Got an album or two, enjoyed but wasn't moved to get more.  That may say more about me.

I can't comment on the music, but don't just 2 of the 5 discs in the BS/SN box feature Borca? I've been considering both the Cyrille and Lyons boxes (leaning toward Cyrille) and noticed that those two CDs (Nuba and Something in Return) are included in both sets.

8 hours ago, T.D. said:

I can't comment on the music, but don't just 2 of the 5 discs in the BS/SN box feature Borca? I've been considering both the Cyrille and Lyons boxes (leaning toward Cyrille) and noticed that those two CDs (Nuba and Something in Return) are included in both sets.

Well, I have the Cyrille box already (his Black Saint quartet dates are outstanding), so that may nix the Lyons box for me.  I know that repetition is happening with other of these box sets also (Haden/Blackwell, if I remember).

3 hours ago, felser said:

Well, I have the Cyrille box already (his Black Saint quartet dates are outstanding), so that may nix the Lyons box for me.  I know that repetition is happening with other of these box sets also (Haden/Blackwell, if I remember).

Oops, looks like I got confused...Nuba and Something in Return are the CDs common to the Lyons and Cyrille boxes, but Wee Sneezawee and Give it Up, both in the Lyons box, are the discs with Borca. I'm still leaning to the Cyrille.

I'm not at all put off by Borca, she's a serious player. Nowhere near as deep as Lyons, but hell, that"s one of the shorter of the short lists. But even if I was, hey, I get past Irene Aebi to get to Steve Lacy, right? And Aebi is growing on me, slowly, yes, but still. 

Some people just seem to come from places that seem more...needless than they really are. Yet within the company they krep, there the are, and there they remain, obviously not needless THERE.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'm not at all put off by Borca, she's a serious player. Nowhere near as deep as Lyons, but hell, that"s one of the shorter of the short lists. But even if I was, hey, I get past Irene Aebi to get to Steve Lacy, right? And Aebi is growing on me, slowly, yes, but still. 

Some people just seem to come from places that seem more...needless than they really are. Yet within the company they krep, there the are, and there they remain, obviously not needless THERE.

Well said - and pretty much my take on Karen Borca and Irene Aebi.

10 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I suppose everyone knows this, but Karen Borca & Jimmy Lyons were married.

And this is pretty much my take on Irene Aebi (in fairness, I have not heard Borca).  I can deal with the cello playing, but the vocalizing, not ever gonna happen for me.