Prince is dead

rostasi

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn 2016 -- now you're just getting greedy.  

Prince just played Toronto, and while I wasn't able to go, I was thinking I might check out his new material if he came back through in a more conventional tour.  

I am basically a casual fan, but a lot of his music was pretty integral to my formative years.

RIP

OMG...his best stuff was true brilliance, his worse stuff wasn't, and everything in-between was none too shabby.

The thing about him was that he could lull you into thinking that he wasn't gonna push it anymore and then out of nowhere, BIG time pushing it. Musicology was the last time that happened, but now the hope of another thing like that is lost...but who knows what all is in the can up there, who knows?

This is a loss, really. RIP.

Extremely sad.  He was a massive talent as a songwriter, instrumentalist, performer, and what I guess you could call a musical conceptualist.  Definitely prone to showbiz-y self-indulgence, funk cliches, and noodling, but he was also certainly much more experimental and adventurous than the vast majority of pop acts.  Plus, despite being a very small person, he had a hell of a stage presence, an incredible amount of musical capability, and anyone who saw him live will never forget it.

I loved his music in my late teens and early 20s - Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain, Around The World, Sign 'O" The Times.

Feels really weird, really sad, to think he is gone ... he never really stopped being the impish purple badass for me ... 

Edited by Eric

Fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up again they just played one of his video clips from 1999 - incredibly perfect show with great musicians and sexy singers. I always thought Prince had more real sexiness in the tip of his little finger than Michael Jackson had in his whole body. In his genre he was a complete musician.