Prince is dead

rostasi

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'll advocate for Michael forever, but as for who was smarter about what the whole game was, I gotta go with Prince. Michael played an incredibly intricate and deep game of checkers, but Price played chess. That was an opportunity undoubtedly afforded him by chronology,  but it was an opportunity in no way squandered, and one more than fully maximized. imo, of course.

James Brown, of course, invented wood, rocks, eater, and most of fire. Louis Armstrong did not invent air, but he did define it, so...close enough.

And about Michael, I was telling my daughter this evening, Michael Jackson came up in a world, deep inside a world, that really no longer exists. Michael Jackson saw and learned more before he was 10 than most people do in an entire life.And he not only saw it, he carried it with him all his life. So Michael knew in a way that this kid from Minneapolis could not know. But Prince learned it in his own way, and carried it in his own way, and, really, knew in a way that Michael could never really get a full grip on that the game is to be won on your own terms or else it is not won at all.

RIP Prince.

Nobody wins in the game of addictions and substance abuse in this torrent of a World, trying to incubate and regulate oneself from the shit.

But on a more heartwarming and life affirming trajectory, what beautiful and worthy conversations to be able to have with your daughter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5mXYQPBJ30

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

And about Michael, I was telling my daughter this evening, Michael Jackson came up in a world, deep inside a world, that really no longer exists. Michael Jackson saw and learned more before he was 10 than most people do in an entire life.And he not only saw it, he carried it with him all his life. So Michael knew in a way that this kid from Minneapolis could not know. But Prince learned it in his own way, and carried it in his own way, and, really, knew in a way that Michael could never really get a full grip on that the game is to be won on your own terms or else it is not won at all.

RIP Prince.

This has to be one of the most insightful and thoughtful things I've read in a long time, Jim. I don't know that anyone could sum it up any more succinctly. Nor could anyone add anything to that that would be beneficial in understanding those two greats. 

That, my friend, is a grand slam walk-off in the bottom of the 9th in game 7 of the World Series. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

21 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I liked how he used girl musicians like Wendy and Lisa or Sheila E.

Yeah me too. Although I did like Sheena Easton more before Prince more than after. We have had 3 National lady musicians working with him who all did well for themselves. The most famous is probably Candy Dulfer.

im not on board w/ what louis hayes says as "did not choose the same art form" - i see more similarities in their music than differneces- two amazing artsists completely free of restriction 

Jazz drummer Louis Hayes is Prince's first cousin. This is from an interview with Hayes in 2001, "He is very talented but he did not choose the same art form that I did. He is the son of my mother's younger brother. My family originated from Cotton Valley, Louisiana and moved to Minneapolis back in the early 20's. My cousin's name is Prince. Although he presently goes by the name 'The Artist Known As (Ankh Symbol).' Prince is a very good musician and has been well received in the Pop Music genre. Pop, is the music he felt and that is the direction he went. I listened to people like Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk and Max Roach. They inspired me so that is the direction I chose."

13 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Sheana Easton's delivery on U Got The Look was really phenomenal, though. Would you not agree? 

I didn't mean her vocal abilities. She's always been a fabulous singer. It is more like I felt she turned into a 'Prince-clone' somehow at the time. I've danced a lot to his music, I just didn't watch the clips.

Edited by page

21 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

True, though both outrageously talented. 

Yep! :) I know they are.

3 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Thanks for your kind words. It's true that Sheena Easton worked with Prince, but I meant musicians of his band, not added vocalists.

Yep! I know Sheena wasn't part of his band and I fully appreciate Prince for working and supporting female musicians! :) I perhaps should have phrased differently to avoid misunderstandings.

I begin to think of Prince as the next Duke Ellington. A painter of the blues. A composer who had his fingers on all that is going on but had his own vision to impart with the tools and forms of all that is going on. A seeker and developer and employer of talent to work within his orbit. A lover of beauty in many forms including the human. Someone who will last the ages.

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I begin to think of Prince as the next Duke Ellington. A painter of the blues. A composer who had his fingers on all that is going on but had his own vision to impart with the tools and forms of all that is going on. A seeker and developer and employer of talent to work within his orbit. A lover of beauty in many forms including the human. Someone who will last the ages.

Don't mean to be disrespectful, to U or Prince, but I just really do NOT hear this...wish I did, but no.  Maybe I should start a poll, I have the sense that this is a bit of a dividing line...