Papa Wemba RIP

John L

Farewell to one of the most dynamic and creative African musicians and artists.  Personally, he was my favorite Congolese artist after Franco.  He didn't always make good records in recent years, but he sure did made a handful of classic recordings that will always endure.   RIP

I am also a big fan of Franco and Dr. Nico.   Papa Wemba had a more modern sound.  Have you heard the self-titled disc on Sterns that begins with M'Fono Yami?  That one knocked me out the first time that I heard it, and still does.  His early discs with Zaiko Langa-Langa are classics, closer in style to the older Congolese Rhumba but still a step beyond it.  Maybe try "Zaire-Ghana" if you can find it.  "Zea" is more of the same.  

"La Voyageur" is another Papa Wemba album that gives me a lot of enjoyment.

Beginning in the 90s, I was disappointed in a number of his records and eventually stopped paying attention.  The music somehow lost its Congolese backbone and became more like the generic soukous+makossa+zouk groove that can get monotonous.  Maybe he still dropped some good albums in recent years, but I haven't heard them.  Et Viva La Musique was the last Papa Wemba album I heard that I really liked.