Count Basie Live Roulette Recordings- Mosaic

Oh it's a great set. Several of the recording sessions feature more material in this set than were originally released on LP. Roulette (imo) did some excellent stereo recording of the Basie band, and the mastering on this Mosaic set highlights this. And this is a great period for Basie with Joe Williams out front on many numbers doing possibly his best work, great soloists, and wonderful arrangements. The whole orchestra played well together and with that unique beat and feel. 

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Oh it's a great set. Several of the recording sessions feature more material in this set than were originally released on LP. Roulette (imo) did some excellent stereo recording of the Basie band, and the mastering on this Mosaic set highlights this. And this is a great period for Basie with Joe Williams out front on many numbers doing possibly his best work, great soloists, and wonderful arrangements. The whole orchestra played well together and with that unique beat and feel. 

+1

Yup, got it while it was still regularly available - lots of great, loose playing there, you get Budd Johnson on one of the (three) dates ... and Louie Bellson on one as well if I'm not mistaken. Not amongst my very top favourite Mosaic sets, I think, but still a highly enjoyable one, and one that includes a whole lot of music still not easily available elsewhere.

There has to be more discussion of this hidden in some general Basie and/or Mosaic thread, I'm quite sure.