Lost records found

jeffcrom

So a couple of years ago (at least), I digitized some hard-to-find classical saxophone records for your friend and mine, Jim Sangrey. A few days later, I picked up a pile of records to refile, and realized that cover of the extremely rare 1975 Golden Crest album James Houlik Plays the Tenor Saxophone was empty, and that the record was nowhere to be found. I spent days searching, and couldn't come up with it. I figured that I had either thrown it out - perhaps mixed in with LP mailers from records I had gotten in the mail - or put it in the wrong sleeve, probably with another record. I checked every classical LP I owned, with no luck. I started looking on Ebay and elsewhere for another copy, but none turned up in all that time.

Well, tonight, after listening to a couple of hours of jazz, I was in the mood for something different. I decided on Free Fall, the first Capricorn album by the Dixie Dregs, those purveyors of Southern-fried instrumental prog rock. As soon as I pulled the record off the shelf, I knew. It was too thick and heavy - there were obviously two records inside. So now James Houlik is resting comfortably inside his sleeve, ready for the turntable later this week.

My wife heard me yell from the other end of the house. She couldn't tell whether I was excited or hurt.

So who here has had a lost record (or CD) turn up after a long tiime?

Jeff, what intrigues me is how James Houlik made his way into a Dixie Dregs jacket and cohabitated with the sleeved 'Free Fall' vinyl  -- and for several years.

I've found this sort of thing happens in the manic whirl of DJ-ing a lively event and there's no time to finesse jacket inserts when cueing-up the next track.  But when the party's over, the separation ends when the loose vinyl slabs are matched to the pile of empty jackets. 

Maybe one of your private lesson students pulled a fast one when you stepped out for a minute?

1 hour ago, Bill Nelson said:

Jeff, what intrigues me is how James Houlik made his way into a Dixie Dregs jacket and cohabitated with the sleeved 'Free Fall' vinyl  -- and for several years.

I've found this sort of thing happens in the manic whirl of DJ-ing a lively event and there's no time to finesse jacket inserts when cueing-up the next track.  But when the party's over, the separation ends when the loose vinyl slabs are matched to the pile of empty jackets. 

Maybe one of your private lesson students pulled a fast one when you stepped out for a minute?

Yeah, it's pretty weird. During a listening session, I always put the record back in the inner sleeve right away, but don't always immediately put it into the jacket. I assume that the next morning (I'm not a morning person), when sorting things out, I grabbed two sleeves instead of one.... No, that doesn't make sense - I would have noticed that I had two records. Maybe I resleeved the Dregs, then later absent-mindedly grabbed the Houlik and put it in the wrong sleeve, not noticing that there was already a record inside. Whatever happened, it took a pretty bizarre turn of events and an extremely scattered person to create this result. I know myself well enough to know that I can't blame students or anyone else besides myself.

Or, since years ago I played with both James Houlik and a couple of the Dregs, I subconsciously wanted to bring them together.

Closest I came to this was with the Bird Complete Savoy Studio Sessions LP box. I had listened to it a number of times, but about 15 years ago, I took it out to play and the last LP was missing. I couldn't figure out what happened, but luckily I was able to get hold of another box with LPs in excellent condition for a cheap price and replaced the missing LP. The missing LP has never turned up, so it's still a mystery.

Edited by paul secor

I've not really had this problem too often, though I did misfile a Dexter Gordon live date and spent the better part of a year wondering whether or not I'd inexplicably sold it. Found it shelved rather far from its alphabetical home eventually.

I actually emailed an old roommate to see if I'd left it with his records by mistake, I think.

I've a small stack of empty CD cases awaiting the return of the correct CD. I had lost the disc for a nice Grachan Moncur date . After repeated attempts to locate it I found it with a Charlie Ventura Chrological Classic disc which I rarely play ( not mad about CV).