Doug Raney

Victor Christensen

Sad news indeed. His younger brother Jon intimated that Doug had a hard life. He certainly didn't receive the attention and rewards his talent deserved. Rest in peace, Doug.

Doug and Jondoug-jon_kids.jpg

Doug and Jon with their mother

Edited by sonnymax

As I said this morning on the "What are you listening to now" thread, "I love/loved Doug's playing from the moment I first heard it on the ... album, "Introducing Doug Raney." Is there another case of an offspring whose playing at once stems so directly from his parent's yet is as individual and beautiful as Doug Raney's was? His duo albums with his father are sublime. Again, there's the shared stream of inspiration, yet it's easy to tell Jimmy and Doug apart.

I'm very sad. I didn't know Doug,but did know Jimmy and am in touch with Jon. I feel very bad for Jon right about now.

I'm also thinking about a great player I was friends with: Sean Levitt...Also, Tim Breen---who was in a class by himself, but never recorded...

Edited by fasstrack

So sad! Second Larry Kart, loved Doug´s style, too.
First appreciated him on those four fabulous recordings of the Chet Baker trio from 1979, three live in Copenhagens Montmartre jazz club, one studio date.
Just checked this out: All three men who then made such heavenly music passed away at 59: Chet, NHOP and Doug Raney! 
Later I was fond of Raney´s leader sets, for instance "Back in New York" (also on Steeplechase) and his sideman work on Horace Parlan´s splendid "Love and Peace" with Bob Rockwell (on Storyville).
RIP, Doug Raney!.

Edited by Balladeer

7 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

As I said this morning on the "What are you listening to now" thread, "I love/loved Doug's playing from the moment I first heard it on the ... album, "Introducing Doug Raney." Is there another case of an offspring whose playing at once stems so directly from his parent's yet is as individual and beautiful as Doug Raney's was? His duo albums within his father are sublime. Again, there's the shared stream of inspiration, yet it's easy to tell Jimmy and Doug apart.

Doug finally broke away from his Dad's influence later in life, and became a deeper artist for it...He really grew. When I first heard him in the late '70s he was only 17 and, quite understandably, sounding very much like Jimmy---except with a fatter tone. He was playing Jimmy's licks. He finally came into his own sometime later, a real artist. It must be a real stressor having a great musician for a father and playing oneself. Everyone judges you against his achievements. It takes courage and fortitude to break away.

I also can tell you that in my private conversations with him Jimmy expressed great pride in Doug...

Very sad news. I guess one is never too young to pass away, but it seems so in this case.

I've enjoyed a number of his appearances on Steeplechase, both as leader and sideman - especially the recordings he did with his father.

Thanks for the music you gave us, Doug Raney. You'll be missed.

21 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Very sorry to hear this - bought his first Steeple Chase album after hearing a track on locla radio and liked his playing ever since. 59 is way too young ... I feel like an old man at 62 whenever I read news like this. R.I.P.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=478&artikel=6423627

I'm almost 62, too. I feel your pain :blink:...

• 1 year later...